Author Topic: Luna Park Scarborough Old Photos  (Read 7748 times)

John W

Luna Park Scarborough Old Photos
« on: December 08, 2010, 03:10:07 PM »
Looking through old links I had saved on my computer I found pictures of Luna Park which are great, I have only been twice however it's a great little place.
These photos are from a defuct site so I am not sure the owner.

Copyright of North West Coastal resorts.

Its good seeing the park so busy as I don't think it ever gets busy now in the past times I have been.
Just thought I would share for those intrested.
John

kevinashe

• Valued Poster
Re: Luna Park Scarborough Old Photos
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 07:12:45 PM »
5 years since ive been down to scarborough,got fed up with the councils attitude and demolition of atlantis water park and kiddie corner for faceless flats.Remember nwcr well,run about the same time as the save the cyclone site and covered the full of the north west

Dave

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 07:36:37 PM »
I think, in fairness, there was going to be more than just flats which replaced Atlantis, but I believe the money has simply run out. From what I gather Atlantis had been less than profitable in it's final few years. It's still much missed though as it was a great day out. We just dont really have the climate for it.

Scarborough is still well worth going to though. For the 3rd year running we're booked up for next summer.

Heaven is

kevinashe

• Valued Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 08:54:38 PM »
i think most residents felt the tourist side should have been built first,a pool similar to perth with a part outside bit was planned.Dont know but i think the counci should have stipulated that leisure was be built before flats.Atlantis had its best ever season in recent years in its last year,maybe its just me but you cant beat an outdoor heated pool

John W

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 09:19:48 PM »
Anyone Renember Marvels?
I have have a vague recollection of it and Renemeber going on a Pinfari coaster there.
John

stealth womble

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
Nice one John, theyre my photos youve saved,  god that takes me back, the old NWCR days, me and john against the world lol.

got a ton of others from the bay and marvels amusement park, need to rebrand them and i'll put them up.

Dave

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 10:11:14 PM »
Nice one John, theyre my photos youve saved,  god that takes me back, the old NWCR days, me and john against the world lol.

got a ton of others from the bay and marvels amusement park, need to rebrand them and i'll put them up.

Would be really good to see them Rick.

Scarborough is quite becoming my favourite place just now. Infact as soon as somebody sets up a "Live in Scarborough" forum then I'm buggering off from this place quick smart :P

Heaven is

John W

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 10:25:57 PM »

That explains that then.
So it was you who owned that site, looking forward to the other photos thanks womble.
Ps: so you don't mind that I posted them?
John

stealth womble

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 11:05:11 PM »
It was co owned between me and John Winters, a great guy, one of the genuine types that are few and far between, with John doing pretty much everything and me just filling it up lol, been far too long since i last saw him.

no problem with the pics, its good that someone actually bothered enough to save the images.

Ash

• Centuries of funshine! Much more than just a forum
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
Anyone Renember Marvels?
I have have a vague recollection of it and Renemeber going on a Pinfari coaster there.

Yes, the 2 chair lifts that took you up to the park, there was indeed a pinfari Wild Cat style coaster, a dodgem track and a fairly decent dark ride about dinosuars.

It operated along side a childrens park called kinderland, with famous Water Chute.

Ash

Visit www.centuriesoffunshine.co.uk PBB's old-school website and forum!

John W

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 11:29:11 PM »
Anyone Renember Marvels?

Yes, the 2 chair lifts that took you up to the park, there was indeed a pinfari Wild Cat style coaster, a dodgem track and a fairly decent dark ride about dinosuars.

It operated along side a childrens park called kinderland, with famous Water Chute.

Ash
That's The Place
I wonder what happened to the water chute, If its still there.
It was an ok little park for a few hours to spend there.
Womble, I saved quite a few different things from that site, I posted infusion things in the infusion topic from that site and I found Pleasure Island stuff saved as well, When Did the site shut down?
John

Ash

• Centuries of funshine! Much more than just a forum
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 12:40:56 AM »
As far as I'm aware, the Chute is still there, SBNO, but still there.

Ash

EDIT:

http://www.ukrides.info/scarboroughwaterchute.htm

The ride wasn't looking in the best state when thee pics were taken, (despite being included in future plans) I doubt it will run again unless its had a major referb by now.

Ash
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:44:47 AM by Ash »

Visit www.centuriesoffunshine.co.uk PBB's old-school website and forum!

cliffc

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 11:32:07 AM »
As far as I'm aware, the Chute is still there, SBNO, but still there.

Ash

EDIT:

http://www.ukrides.info/scarboroughwaterchute.htm

The ride wasn't looking in the best state when thee pics were taken, (despite being included in future plans) I doubt it will run again unless its had a major referb by now.

Ash

Hi Ash

I can report that the water chute has indeed had a referb and was operateing this year, its been taken over by the company who run the North Bay Railway as the chute is at the opposite end of there track, as the train also used to run to Marvels and Kinderland.

Here is a link to the page with information of the opening dates and costs for this year.

http://www.nbr.org.uk/waterchute.html

Also a link to the Scarbrough Evening News Story of the re-opening

http://www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk/news/local/we_have_splash_down_1_1419147

Regards

Cliff C
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:33:52 AM by cliffc »

cliffc

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 11:45:17 AM »
Anyone Renember Marvels?

Hi John

Thay do pack much into that small space at the end of the South Bay and sometimes in the Summer it can still get busy, allthough as its a small site it does not take many people to make it look busy in there, Marvels was on the North Bay and was later renamed Kinderland, the it closed down I cannot remember if it was closed because it was not makeing money or weather it was closed due to the impending developement of the area.

Scarbrough is a nice place as its close to us I will drive over there a couple of time in the year, we were there a few saturdays back to see Jason Manford at the Fututist Theatre.

Regards

Cliff C

admin

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 07:03:15 PM »
Good find John.. 8) 8) 8) 8)

I was a member of NWCR and Rick started up a previous version of a Blackpool site..

Its great that they are still knocking around.. 8)