Author Topic: Darts - World Championship  (Read 1095 times)

BelleVueShrew

Darts - World Championship
« on: December 19, 2010, 08:24:16 PM »
Anyone else watching it at the Ally Pally?

Live coverage on Sky Sports.

I don't know what it is about darts that makes it such an appealing spectator sport to me. After all it is just a bunch of men repeatedly chucking some pointed sticks at a round board with some numbers on it!!! When you think about it there is no rationale, but I absolutely love my darts, both watching and playing  8)

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

BelleVueShrew

Re: Darts - World Championship
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 08:52:12 PM »
Has anyone else followed it then?

Bit of a shock, or not, when 'The Power's' lights went out last night. Has been below his usual high standards all through and Mark Webster deserved his win last night.

Semi's tonight with Welshman, Webster up against Adrian 'Jackpot' Lewis and Gary Anderson taking on, for me, the surprise package, Terry Jenkins.

Form suggests Webster and Anderson will prevail to the final. Anderson in particular finally seems to have conquered his inability to convert the doubles as he has always been impressive with his scoring.

It will be whoever holds their nerve best over the next two matches now. They will all feel they have a chance, especially without the might and awe of Phil Taylor to come up against.

I think Anderson will win it, but would love to see Jenkins do it.

What are your thoughts?

Dave

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »
I was devastated at Taylor's exit but not surprised as he's not quite been there this year. Understandable though given the early labour his daughter went in and his new grandkid being in Intensive Care.

Was proof though that averages dont mean squat as he finished with a higher one than Webster.

Night was made much more bearable by Barney being destroyed. You could put that man in a Celtic shirt and it couldn't make me hate him anymore than I do !

Hope now that Anderson wins it and if he holds his bottle he should do as he's the best player left in there by some distance.

Doesn't the BDO tourney over on BBC look like a total joke in comparison though.

Heaven is

admin

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:55:36 PM »
I am not really a Darts follower, but I enjoyed watching the Scotch bloke beat Barnifeld today.. 8)

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 09:02:52 PM »
I think I have opened my nig mouth too soon - Anderson scoring well and hittingh maximum's, but not finishing. 'The Bull' takes the first set 3-1!!

Dave

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 10:02:10 PM »
Anderson's class is showing through now. Jenkins is somebody I like about as much as I do Barneveld so quite happy to see him getting pumped.

Heaven is

Dave

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »
Anderson wins it 6-2 in sets.

Second semi final should be a belter. Hoping Lewis gets through - just for his Taylor connection alone - but I'll be happy to see Anderson win the final tomorrow.

Heaven is

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 11:14:08 PM »
I thought Gary turned it round superbly. Well played indeed. I hope he goes on to win it now.

It has to be said neither Jenkins or Barney are exactly charismatic, but hate is a strong word. Why do you hate them Dave or is it more of an intensely dislike?   

Dave

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:18:39 PM »
Much the same as I hate Middlesborough FC there is no logical reason for feeling that way about Barney and Jenkins. The two of them just have faces that I can't stand really lol !

When Taylor played Barney I used to have to Sky Plus it I was only ever allowed to watch it if Taylor won, purely because I used to jump about like a tube during the match. I get as worked up about that fixture as I do about Rangers v Celtic (and the less said about that the better today !)

Not quite as exciting a second match here. Standard not brilliant.

Heaven is

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 04:19:53 AM »
Anderson Lewis final then.

That second semi certainly swung a few times. Both players had the jitters finishing at times. I thought Webster was going to win it at one point, but Lewis came good again.

Dave

• Admin
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 07:06:46 PM »
The final should be a cracker tonight. Two really in form and pretty quick players.

I think Anderson will win it in the end as Lewis blows hot and cold too often during matches. During his hot spells the very best cant live with him so I can see him taking some sets, but I'm going to plump for Anderson to win either 7-3 or 7-4 in the end and get his name on that trophy. First Scotsman to do it since Jocky Wilson back in 1989 !

Tried to watch some of the BDO one on BBC today but it's just embarrassing guff compared to what's going on at the Ally Pally.

Heaven is

Dave

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 09:11:46 PM »
What an absolutely jaw dropping 1st set that was !

Anderson averages 105 and still manages to lose it 3-1. Both players look absolutely on fire. If they can both keep this up it's got the potential to be the best final of all time.

Glued to my seat now.

Heaven is

Dave

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 10:27:07 PM »
Looks like I am going to be wrong. Lewis is in brilliant form and Anderson is starting to look beaten.

Heaven is

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 11:13:49 AM »
Brilliant 9 darter from 'Jackpot'

How many times do you see players lose after a 9 darter though? Fair play to Lewis he kept it going and derserved his victory.

I thought he was older than 25 though? He seems to have been around for years now.