Author Topic: BBC Sports Personality of the Year  (Read 2206 times)

ericbee123

• I am not a number.
    • Blackpool & Layton Angling Society
Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 06:27:21 PM »
Peter,

Quick reply to your quick reply.

Newcastle easily won The Championship and had the same points as Blackpool when they sacked Chris Hughton  -- he should have been in the running too, then.

You are only getting 'upset' cause he got nominated and was on TV yesterday, coming in the TOP 3, but not winning.

If he hadn't even been nominated, all we would have to argue about was if Monty should have won it or Andy Flower....:)

Cheer up, he will win it next year, when we finish in a European place and win the FA cup.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:29:13 PM by ericbee123 »
Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.

admin

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 08:21:13 PM »
Peter,

Quick reply to your quick reply.

Newcastle easily won The Championship and had the same points as Blackpool when they sacked Chris Hughton  -- he should have been in the running too, then.

You are only getting 'upset' cause he got nominated and was on TV yesterday, coming in the TOP 3, but not winning.

If he hadn't even been nominated, all we would have to argue about was if Monty should have won it or Andy Flower....:)

Cheer up, he will win it next year, when we finish in a European place and win the FA cup.

Your completely missing the point Eric..

Newcastle average gate 46,000 Blackpool 15,000

Multi Million pound budget, Blackpool ermm

Its about a man with limited means doing something quite remarkable with what he has at his disposable..

If I am honest the reason why he didnt win it, is because its Blackpool..

ericbee123

• I am not a number.
    • Blackpool & Layton Angling Society
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 01:14:01 AM »
:)

Peter, what is happening in The Championship this year ?

To be honest, all I know is PKE are bottom -- that is all I care about.

You have to be concerned about The Championship to notice it.

Fleetwood Town are doing absolutely brilliantly, with fewer crowds and less money than The Mighty.

They are not going to win any awards.

BFC and Ollie are never going to win anything by being very good in The Second Tier of English Football, you need results in The Prem to get noticed.

No matter how good you are in the lower leagues -- you need to be in the top tier to win awards -- in every sport -- unfortunately.

An absolutely brilliant British driver who wins everything and is miles ahead of everyone else, in Formula 2 is never going to be Sports Personality Of The Year, no matter how many fanatical supporters of Formula 2 say or think he should be.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 01:27:44 AM by ericbee123 »
Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 02:43:25 PM »
Peter and Eric, you both make good points in your arguments. I know where you are coming from Peter, as the budget size IH has had to work with makes the achievement all the more remarkable and I'm sure it is on that basis that he was nominated. After all, scraping in the play-offs and getting to the Premiership wouldn't be seen as a major achievement for the Newcastle's and West Brom's of this world.

But if you just use that argument alone then what about John Coleman at Accy Stanley who has year upon year improved the clubs standing and last year had them challenging for the play-offs on paltry crowds.

There are many unsung coaches out their who do stirling jobs but don't get noticed (I am talking across all sports here)

IH only got nominated because it is football (our National sport) and he got his team into the Premiership. I'm not trying to belittle that, it is a fantastic achievement and well done Hollers to be considered as coach of the year. That makes him a winner in my eyes anyway.

The absolute joke of this award though is that Monty should be considered for it and that he should go on to win it. To me that makes it an arse of an award and shows the Beeb in a very poor light.

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

admin

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 03:28:36 PM »
With respect to other very talented coaches, nothing and I mean nothing can ever compare to what Ian Holloway achieved with respect..

The fact that he was nominated is not enough for me, I am sorry... :(

In life you get nothing for being second best, I am selfish but nothing less than absolute victory will ever satisfy me..

I hope that he does get reconised   in the Queens New Year honours list.. 8)  because I think this man deserves it..

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 04:33:13 PM »
Wait till Salop get there under Graham Turner  ;)

So, if Blackpool finish runners-up in the Premiership this season that won't be good enough because they haven't been crowned champions?

Britcitchris

• Media Manager And Unofficial Duke Of Norfolk
  • Valued Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 08:10:01 PM »
Who knows, maybe the Canaries will join Blackpool in the Premiership, next year...If that happens, then my vote will go to Paul Lambert!

Chris.

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 08:27:01 PM »
^ ^ ^ ^ I bet you weren't saying that when Paul Lambert's Colchester tonked you opening day of last season Chris!!!  :D  ;)

Seriously, PL's reputation is being enhanced by the week. Grant Holt was a fantastic buy from Shrewsbury as well, wasn't he?

admin

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »
Who knows, maybe the Canaries will join Blackpool in the Premiership, next year...If that happens, then my vote will go to Paul Lambert!

Chris.

No reason why not Chris.. 8) 8) 8)

Blackpool are giving everybody hope..

Britcitchris

• Media Manager And Unofficial Duke Of Norfolk
  • Valued Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 10:53:12 PM »
^ ^ ^ ^ I bet you weren't saying that when Paul Lambert's Colchester tonked you opening day of last season Chris!!!  :D  ;)

Seriously, PL's reputation is being enhanced by the week. Grant Holt was a fantastic buy from Shrewsbury as well, wasn't he?

Well of course I wasn't! Why do you think we poached him? 8)  And yes, 100%. Grant Holt is the goal machine we have sorely needed since Earnshaw left.

Chris.

admin

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 11:15:56 PM »

So, if Blackpool finish runners-up in the Premiership this season that won't be good enough because they haven't been crowned champions?

I would be happy that they stayed up but disapointed that they came 2nd if that makes any sense..

Dont think I am contradicting myself.. :D

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 04:57:24 AM »
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ It's the pantomine season - 'Oh yes you are!!!'

Seriously, I know what you are saying. If your team finish runners-up, there would be a groan that you had just missed out on being crowned champions.

admin

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 12:33:44 PM »
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ It's the pantomine season - 'Oh yes you are!!!'

Seriously, I know what you are saying. If your team finish runners-up, there would be a groan that you had just missed out on being crowned champions.

He's behind you.. :D :D :D :D

But you never know.. ;)