Author Topic: Derby Baths Blackpool  (Read 19875 times)

admin

Derby Baths Blackpool
« on: January 02, 2011, 08:44:06 PM »
Derby Baths Opened - 1939

Host to famous International Swimming events,  International Diving events,  Olympic,  European and Commonwealth Trial events.  Home to the annual Amateur Swimming Association Centralised Championships,  Water Polo,  Synchronised Swimming Champs. Cheers of excitement,  foot stamping,  hand clapping   and chanting were the sounds to the dramatic breaking of multi records. Emotional swings between pure joy and sadness. Television took all the excitement into the nations homes.   Everyone throughout Europe had heard of The Derby Baths Blackpool.  Unofficially opened to the public in 1939 (official opening to come later) the yellow tiled facade

Dave

• Admin
Re: Derby Baths Blackpool
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 08:46:47 PM »
Was only ever in them twice - once before "Splashland" and once when it was there. All I remember is them being absolutely manky !!

Heaven is

Blackpoolghosts

• Live In Blackpool Paranormal Expert.
    • Blackpool Ghosts
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:42:19 PM »
forgive me when I type I love you for posting thise images, I have spent ages looking for *knock down* picys of blackpool , and they are fab, used to swim there with the BASC . Happy days x

admin

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 09:45:46 PM »
Thanks Jules... 8) 8) 8)

I will dig out some more.. 8)

Blackpoolghosts

• Blackpool Ghosts
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 09:47:08 PM »
GLEE dance , yes please x

admin

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 09:50:18 PM »
GLEE dance , yes please x

Goes to find more.. 8)

Blackpoolghosts

• Blackpool Ghosts
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 01:37:16 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ( posted a link on your face book about books )

cliffc

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »
Hi

I also swam in the Derby Baths twice it was the 1st time I had swam in a pool with a 50m length as all of out local pools only had 25m lengths, and allthough i had a a STA badge for swimming 3 miles, the 1st length of that pool seemed to go on forever, and of course it was a Salt water pool.
On the first visit I was just larking about with some other kids from sheffield, and was in the water for about an hour and a half, but on the 2nd visit the pool was not so busy, so i was only in there for about an half hour.

Regards

Cliff C

davepick

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 01:27:04 PM »
I swam in The Derby Baths many times starting during the war. My older sister and brother were both excellent swimmers so it was only natural that I shoulkd follow them. I wasn't as good as them as I preferred just to enjoy myself. My sister, now coming up to 82, taught me to swim at DB.
As kids we were never out of the baths, alternating between Derby, Cocker St, Lido and, in summer, The Open Air Baths. Fantastic place, it should have been a 'Preserved Building' instead of knocking it down.

WyldeFyre

• Valued Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 06:01:54 PM »
I have very fond memories of Derby Baths from the 80s. I was unemployed at the time and if you produced your dole card ( UB40 ) you could get in for 10p !! I have to admit I kept my UB40 for several years after I got a job just so I could get in for 10p. I celebrated my 23rd birthday by diving off the top board for the first time in my life. As a side note, does anybody remember Cocker St Baths? They were on Cocker St ( funnily enough ) and I think they were where there is a car park now. We used to go when we were quite young ( I am guessing the early 70s ). It was a quite a small pool with one diving board, which was basically a fixed step-ladder type thing that went to about 10 feet high. The changing rooms had western saloon style swinging doors with no lockers ( you just left your clothes lying on a bench with everybody elses and just prayed they were still there when you got back ) and the floor was always covered in cockroaches. I have trawled the internet for pictures of the place but without success. If anybody knows where there are any I would be very grateful to see the old place again.

Blackpoolghosts

• Blackpool Ghosts
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 10:35:11 PM »
 :rolleyes: any more picys  :rolleyes:

admin

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 10:40:45 PM »
:rolleyes: any more picys  :rolleyes:

I was hoping that you might have a few.. :rolleyes:

Alan m

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 08:29:11 AM »
Just found this site and the memories just came flooding back when i saw the pictures. We used to go to the baths every other day through the summer holidays in the 80s for years. We used to walk it there with just a £2.00 in our pockets all the way from Grange Park using Layton cemetery as a short cut. Always remember the smell of the biscuit factory on the way to. That just came to me now as I'm going through the journey in my mind, I can smell it now. then up Warley road and as we passed a certain house just passed claremont park I remember one of us would always say that Charlie Carroll lived there. Not sure if it was true but we believed it. Then onto the baths. Pay your money and they gave you a metal coat hanger thing with a basket on the bottom for your shoes. Get changed hand your coat hanger shoe basket thing in and get your safety pin with metal numbered disc attached, fasten it to your trunks then through the foot bath and into the baths itself. God that place was huge. Never had the bottle to do the high board though. Went u[p to the top a few times but whilst up there I just couldn't bring myself to let go of the railings so i used to head back down the stairs again very very gingerly. We also used to dive to the bottom of the deep end and if you were lucky you would find a lost wrist band for the splashland. A yellow band with numbers on and you had to rip a number off every time you went on. They even had a splashland team. The fastest sliders were affiliated and used to be entered into competitions. A friend of mine was also in the TV advert they filmed when splashland was first built. All day we would be in there. Then when we were dried and changed up to the cafe at the back of the boards for some toast and a bovril. Fantastic times

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 09:45:03 AM »
Welcome to LIB Alan m - Enjoy  :thumbup1:

Nice informative post  :cool:

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

dav43

• Valued Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 09:45:19 PM »
a pic i found