Author Topic: Hot Ice 2011  (Read 5047 times)

footprints

• Show Manager
  • Forum Supporter
Hot Ice 2011
« on: January 10, 2011, 11:48:44 AM »
Hot Ice 2011 runs for 1 week longer than the 2010 production, opening on Wednesday 6th July and closing on Sunday 4th September 2010.

This thread is the place for updates on the new season of Hot Ice at the Arena!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:49:44 PM by footprints »

admin

Re: Hot Ice 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 03:13:57 PM »
Brilliant Steve.. 8) 8)
You are Manager of this area and it will look good.. 8)

I am looking forward to seeing Hot Ice 2011 this year, I only got to see the final night last year.. >:(

I had so much going on in my life in 2010, I overlooked it..

Not in 2011 though, we will be regulars at this amazing show..

Oh and Katie is a friend of mine on FB.. 8) she is lovely.. :P

footprints

• Show Manager
  • Forum Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 06:49:14 PM »
Katie Stainsby has been interviewed by the Gazette ahead of this year's Hot Ice.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/daily-feature/katie_gets_her_skates_on_1_3541784

This year's show opens on Wednesday.

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 02:05:54 PM »
Another Gazette article ahead of the opening show tonight  :thumbup1:

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/local/there_s_nothing_hotter_than_ice_1_3549986

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

Clive

• Big One
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 02:37:30 PM »
Saw the final show last year.
Should be an excellent show again this year.
Got my ticket for 7.30 tonight!  :biggrin:

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 03:18:52 PM »
Don't walk too far Clive!!  ;)

Seriously, hope you enjoy it and look forward to a report back  :thumbup1:

footprints

• Show Manager
  • Forum Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
The Stage have posted their review of opening night:

http://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/review.php/32806/hot-ice-show

footprints

• Show Manager
  • Forum Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 11:45:02 PM »
I saw Hot Ice 2011 tonight and thought it was an excellent show. As with last year's Enchanted production, Aura offers a bit of everything. Opening with the same music and costumes as Forbidden, much of part 1 is songs from Chill, followed by a varied selection including songs from Xylatomia and Amarin. Part 2 opens with a number of songs from Va Voom (some of which were also used in Forbidden) followed by another random mix from past Stageworks shows, particularly Forbidden and Amarin.

Some of the highlights of last year's Hot Ice remain, such as Fire, Santa Maria and Heaven, but it's just a sprinkling; a lot of the show has changed and as ever Stageworks impress. The song Diva from Forbidden makes an appearance and for me this is a real standout moment, with brilliant choreography and dazzling electric blue costumes. Perhaps my favourite routine from any Hot Ice show! I really liked the opening number to part 2 as well, with a fabulous ensemble routine performed to the infectious title track from Va Voom with its Ricky Martin esque latin rhythms.

Many familiar faces are amongst this year's cast, including returning favourites who missed last year's show Ruslan Novoseltsev and Jenni Calvert. Andrea Law is just as full of energy on the ice as she was in 2010, I love the attitude she brings to the show, and it seems a bit of that has rubbed off on the rest of the cast - there seemed to be more personality injected into the performances than in previous years which definitely added to the spectacle. I'll miss Lina Szakal not being in the cast this year but overall the level of talent on show seems at an all time high.

Whilst the pairs skating is often the element of Hot Ice I enjoy the least (much preferring the big ensemble numbers), I found myself really engrossed in most of the slower numbers in Aura, the interpretation of the choreography is absolutely beautiful at times. It's a real team effort this time round, with every skater getting their turn in the spotlight and making the most of their chance to shine.

As well as the 29 skaters, Alexei Kofanov from Forbidden is splashing around in his La Clique bathtub again and also does a really bizarre act involving clambering around and balancing in unusual positions on a mannequin! :unsure: In a nod towards the Russian Ice Stars, one of the highlights of the show is a routine where one of the new female skaters performs in a hoop suspended above the ice. I was absolutely blown away by this act, especially as she went so high at some points and all her balancing was being done without a safety net, yet she made it look so effortless. Incredible talent!

In summary then, this year's Aura production is certainly up there with the best of previous Hot Ice shows - on first impressions, probably my favourite. Part 1 is good but the second half is outstanding. The audience were certainly enthusiastic and appreciative tonight. At only £20 a ticket (£10 if purchased with a wristband), it's superb value for money and a show that deserves support.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 04:26:33 PM by footprints »

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
    • Welcome to Live In Blackpool, I hope you like it..x
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 11:50:38 PM »
We went to see it this afternoon Steve... :thumbup:

It was stunning, we couldn't believe the costumes and the energy from the dancers.. :thumbup1:

We are going to see the evening show very shortly.. :tongue_smilie:
BRINGING THE BEST REVIEWS AND BLOGS/VLOGS 

footprints

• Show Manager
  • Forum Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 12:04:55 AM »
We went to see it this afternoon Steve... :thumbup:

It was stunning, we couldn't believe the costumes and the energy from the dancers.. :thumbup1:

We are going to see the evening show very shortly.. :tongue_smilie:

I might see you there, as I'll probably be watching it again on Friday or Saturday night next week  :w00t:

They usually alternate which half of the evening show is performed for the matinee, but if the matinee didn't end with Heaven ("Joy to the World") then you'll have seen part 1 and you just HAVE to go and see the full show because the second half is superb! My only complaint is the hoop scene above the ice is so good I'd have loved to see more cirque acts from the skater who did it!

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 12:08:56 AM »
I loved the gymnast doing his unique set on the statue.. :thumbup1:

I just loved the whole show, and the best thing is..

Its FREE to season pass holders.. :tongue_smilie:

footprints

• Show Manager
  • Forum Supporter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 12:15:43 AM »
I loved the gymnast doing his unique set on the statue.. :thumbup1:

I just loved the whole show, and the best thing is..

Its FREE to season pass holders.. :tongue_smilie:

Ah, you've seen part 1 of the evening show then. Part 2 definitely won't disappoint! It's probably a good thing I can't get in free and don't live in blackpool or I'd probably be there every night! ;) :blush:

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 12:20:29 AM »
I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the show no Steve.. :thumbup1:

Your reviews are always top drawer.. :thumbup1:

I think that we will be seeing this show at least once a week, we love it so far.. :thumbup1:

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 11:53:08 AM »
Nice review Footprints  :thumbup1:

I think it is great that for passholders they get to see the show included in their pass price and can see it unlimited. I think it makes a pass very lucrative, especially for locals.  :thumbup:

footprints

• Show Manager
  • Forum Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 07:39:48 PM »
What's On Stage have given Hot Ice a 4* review describing it as "spectacularly cheesy and camp"!

The full review can be found here:

http://www.whatsonstage.com/reviews/theatre/london/E8831313588283/Hot+Ice+%28Blackpool%29.html