Author Topic: Improvement in British Fairs  (Read 2964 times)

John W

Improvement in British Fairs
« on: January 27, 2011, 06:54:47 PM »
Anyone else think that british fairs need improving. Personal I think they do, If you compare them to German or American fairs they make them look afoul.
Nearly every fair has a Wild Mouse but its a very common design where as Travelling fairs sometimes have MS Spinners. German Fairs have great coasters like giant  Schwarzkopf's and Indoor coasters like Hollenblitz.

Wish they good get better. A great start would be to have more Travelling Breakdances and to get Twist and Shout on the fair circuit. Now that would be good.

Your thoughts.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:00:03 PM by Kryn »
John

Kryn

Re: Improvement in British Fairs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »
I agree. Although I don't think it will ever happen.

Europeans want the fairs to be in their local town/city and don't want to see it leave as it brings massive revenue to the area. The showman do very well out of it too, this is why they are always able to provide new and exciting attractions.

Breakdances never did any good over here - which is strange as they are an amazing ride, I suppose its the same as our Waltzers never did any well over in Europe (there was one in Tilburg some years back and it never did any good)

So, I think we are lumbered with what we have - and personally don't think it will change. It just makes travelling abroad that much more exciting

stealth womble

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 07:32:03 PM »
Never say never Kryn,

The European way is the way forward, most of the UK showland community actually agrees on that, implementing it however is another thing entirely, for starters it would mean the abolition of Guild held established rights, and few are keen to lose those,  :thumbup: some would say those very rights are the reason fun fairs will eventually die, and are certainly the reason for so many duplicated machines at the bigger events, there are too few Guild members prepared to risk everything on the offchance they discover the next big hitter, ( how times have changed ) its a money motivated business, now more than ever, the passion that was once the driving force to present the very best you could afford is gone, these days operators are all too keen to play safe and see which cheap n nasty thriller will do well, and then have another 260 imported in
its a sad state and the blame lies largley with us. and to a lesser extent YOU.
without you we dont have a reason to exist, to present anything, but if you continue to be bottle fed a steady diet of Miami's and Dodgems thats exactly what you'll get, demand better, and in turn you force operators to think outside the safe box.

Kryn

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 07:51:03 PM »
Good Post.

But, I think some showman are keen to take risks and big ones at that!

Abie Danter and his new Starshape ride is a massive thing to travel - even though he is used to travelling large rides I think its a massive feat still!

Elliot Hall took a risk with topbuzz also, and that paid off for him now look what he is doing and the ammount of money he must be worth!

John W

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:57:34 PM »
Wait, Is there going to be a traveling version of Bling coming, If so that would be great.
John

Kryn

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:12:45 PM »
Yes its called Air - and is a full sized Zierer Star Shape.

Its going to be owned by Abie Danter and will be working out of Willie Wilsons yard in Birmingham.

Expect to see it at Goose Fair, The Birmingham run and the London area.

John W

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 08:14:24 PM »
That sounds good!

It's a start anyway. I wish the fairs has better coasters thought.
John

Kryn

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 08:15:02 PM »
http://www.danterattractions.com/Air.html

Keep watching here for more details.

John W

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 08:20:05 PM »
Just had a look on the site.
Wtf,they class the log flume as a coaster :glare:
John

stealth womble

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 08:32:30 PM »
Too few and far too far between, Elliot introduced the UK to the whole top scan phenomenom but that was the tail end of the 90s the second one was slow coming also by Elliot some 5 years later

you can count the inovative Showmen on the fingers of 1 hand, The Taylors, single handedly revolutionalised the industry ( and continue to do so, Mellors became major players after spending years of presenting safe attractions, and are now seeking cover and playing safe again, Elliot Hall took a massive gamble buying in the top scan, after years of the family presenting very safe attractions, it paid off but it was never taken to its natural conclusion, both Mellors & Hall are now presenting safe attractions in the form of humdrum wheels, big they may be, but hardly setting the world alight.
in recent years we have had nothing thats turned the industry upside down, a handful of Tango's an afterburner or two, superspins and freak outs, an occasional twin spin and of course the miami, oh so many miami's,

it was said from a famous operator there would come a day when a major fair would consist of nothing more than a repetition of waltzer miami dodgem and twist. and when that day came it would mark the begining of the end of the UK fun fair scene...

that day has already passed us by.

John W

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 08:37:49 PM »
How I hate the Miami, so Dull and crap and you can find them anywhere. Inverted Miamis are interesting.
John

Kryn

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 10:50:24 PM »
Rick whos writing your innovate posts this evening?

stealth womble

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 11:08:50 PM »
Victor Soddin Meldrew apparently lol.

Its a source of almost constant iritation for me, we could have so much, and as a country we know it, but are bogged down by limitations that were set in motion by our forfathers who by a strange quirk of fate actually thought were preserving our very existance, it may well be our undoing.

admin

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 11:26:18 PM »
I don't know a great deal about traveling fairs, but what I do know is that I am enjoying this topic.. :thumbup1:

I have learnt quite a lot reading these brilliant posts, keep it guys its great.. :thumbup1:

Derek

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 04:04:47 PM »
I'm also loving this topic :thumb up1:With no really decent parks up here in Scotland the only way to get some rides in is to visit travelling fun fairs.Last year a pile of flyers were left in my shop for the Burntisland fair in Fife and  remembered going there as a kid and it was great so decided on a day out there.Well i couldn't believe it when i got there,one shabby waltzer two or three Kiddy rides arcade and burger van, i wasn't too happy as the flyers said it was the biggest fun day out in Scotland.I know the rides come and go from this fair as i think it lasts a couple of months but come on this was very poor indeed,i wonder how many people did the same as me just to go have a great day out only to be left very disapointed,needless to say i wont bother going again in the future a shame really :thumbdown: