Author Topic: Lost Rides & Lost Grounds  (Read 1120 times)

stealth womble

Lost Rides & Lost Grounds
« on: January 29, 2011, 08:48:31 PM »
Over the past decades we as a country have lost dozens of superb rides, attractions and most importantly the grounds on which those classics occupied.

Many of those classics were reimagined and reengineered for a new generation, but lets be honest here, they dont hold a lick to the vintage machines of yesteryear.. many more were just left as distant images in our fading memories

This is the thread for the rides weve loved and lost.. the attractions no longer with us and the grounds that are no longer filled once or twice a year with the screams of people enjoying themselves.

let your voice be heard.

John W

Re: Lost Rides & Lost Grounds
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 09:18:12 PM »
Interesting.

There's not many of the Inverting Swinging ships left anymore, I quite enjoy these. Also In the Uk there's not many Break Dances now :(
John

stealth womble

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 09:28:41 PM »
Interesting.

There's not many of the Inverting Swinging ships left anymore, I quite enjoy these.

I guess your meaning single and twin overboats there, funny how the love affair with those machines died out so quickly, impressive to look at make no mistake, and no half decent gaff worth its salt would be without at least one varient, but from a ridabillity standpoint they were off putting to the average rider, and the introduction of the hang time machines just killed the appeal dead, like they werent scary enough to begin with lol.. but a sad loss nontheless, the removal from so many lineups has certainly taken a slice of variety from the fairs of the UK,

John W

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 09:53:29 PM »
Also have to say there's not that many Rotors/Sticky walls/ Gravitron rides about any more.
There are not many Calypso's any more either, Last one I rode was at Cedar Point.
John

Kryn

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 10:41:06 PM »
Oh good thread!

My list is kinda big - and I do genuinely miss these rides!!

Elliot Hall - Topbuzz (Number 1)
James Cox - Move It 32
James Mellors - Space Roller
James Mellors - Crazy Shake
James Mellors - Big Ben (When it was new before it got crap)
Bernard Matthews - King Loops
Willie Wilson - Chaos
Billy Williams - Terminator
M&D Taylor - Eclipse

Any Speedway tragically converted to a Waltzer.