Author Topic: Kirkcaldy Links Market - April 14th 2011  (Read 4122 times)

Dave

• Admin
Kirkcaldy Links Market - April 14th 2011
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:17:44 PM »
Links Market is described as Europe's longest street fair and once a year it takes over most of the Esplanade of the 'quaint' town of Kirkcaldy in deepest darkest Fife.

As described by Billy Connolly at one stage they were going to change the name of Kirkcaldy to "what's that f**king smell" because that was the first thing that people used to say when they got off the train there  :P

Nonetheless, no April is complete without a trip down to Kirkcaldy and a walk through "the Links". 2011 was to be no exception. Despite the poor weather forecast it stayed dry and reasonably warm and a good time was had by all. There were a few new rides on display - such as the Bling-esque "Air" - as well as a few old classics (although having 4 Tagadas did feel a bit like overkill !).

Anyway, here are a few photos from what was a fabulous afternoon out.

Emily and Dave Jnr cant wait to get going

The Links !

As always, there was plenty of cuisine. Masterchef, eat your heart out !

Busy !

Is it Bling ? No, it's the very impressive "Air"

Ghost Train

Cant remember what this was called, but it looked too much for me !

Random ride shots:

"Over the Top"

Emily decides it's time to ride:

No traveling fair is complete without...The Toboggan !

Time for the Bouncy slide

Then Emily goes for a shot on the Water Walkers. I was in tears of laughter when she was on these !

Miami Time. I don't think I've seen colour drain out of a kid's face quicker than it did with Emily on this !

Dave Jnr goes for the more sedate car ride.

Still all smiles

Dave and Emily do the caterpillar coaster

Mummy and Emily on the boats

It's busy !

Really busy !

Memories of Spin Doctor

Rocketman !

Back to "Bling"

Well, OK it's "Air" then !

All in all a really good day out. Not cheap by any means. The kids rides were £1.50 to £2.00 per kid. For the Tagadas you were looking at £3, and the Spin Doctor/Bling equivalents you were looking at £4. Thing is if you go along on Friday or Saturday night you can probably add 50p to £1 onto each of those prices too.

We'll be going back though lol !

Thanks for reading.

Photos copyright to me and Live in Blackpool

Heaven is

Alex

Re: Kirkcaldy Links Market - April 14th 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:29:22 PM »
Great Report, We were in Elie until yesterday and were considering going to visit it however decided against.

It looks like a very good ride selection, Air Looks great along with some other good rides like Spiderman, The Wild Mouse and Tagada.
One Ride I can't stand is the Toboggan, The Drop at the bottom is painful!

I haven't seen over the Top Before....

Great pictures, Thanks for sharing them.

Dave

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 07:32:33 PM »
Cheers Alex, would definitely have been worth your while popping in (Elie is a great place, and first place we'd head to for the beach if the sun was out).

Ride selection was a bit hit and miss to be honest. 4 Tagadas was just daft, and 3 "Spin Doctors" was a bit excessive too. However, great selection for the kids and adults alike. "Over the Top" looked fantastic.

There's something a bit sad though about a 35 year old waving his hands in the air sitting on a ride on his own though, so I gave it a miss (well that excuse is as good as any !).

It's on until Monday and with good weather forecast for the weekend, you should get yourself through to the Kingdom to experience it. It's unique ;-)

Heaven is

admin

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:42:09 PM »
David a quality report, you have a lovely Family.. :thumbup1:

This park has everything, I loved those  Zorbs on the water.. :tongue_smilie:

Dave

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:43:53 PM »
David a quality report, you have a lovely Family.. :thumbup1:

This park has everything, I loved those  Zorbs on the water.. :tongue_smilie:

"David", that's my Sunday name !!!

Got the video of Emily on the water things on Facebook now. I don't think she managed to stay on her feet for more than a couple of seconds.  :lol:

Heaven is

Britcitchris

• Media Manager And Unofficial Duke Of Norfolk
  • Valued Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 08:09:21 PM »
I've missed your quality reports, Dave :cool:

Over The Top and Spiderman look brilliant 8)

Chris.

Dave

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 08:59:54 PM »
Thanks Chris. I've missed posting on here too. Just been so much going on in past 3 or 4 months.

Now that I'm settled into the new job and other stuff up here is settling down, not to mention the emergence of the sun ! I am hoping to be able to get a few more reports and posts on this brilliant site.

Heaven is

Britcitchris

• Valued Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 02:47:37 PM »
Don't worry about it mate, life is certainly hectic for us family types  :crying: We can only do what we can...

Chris.

coastercrazyuk

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »
great report, as per my reply in other topic i was down friday afternoon/evening with family, as you say it's not a cheap few hours by any means, it would be interesting to know what their costs are to figure out if you're getting value for money when visiting traveling fairs.  i was sitting on the paratrooper ride for a few mins while it filled up, was looking along at the wild mouse lift hill.  granted it was friday evening and was starting to get really busy but i watched the wild mouse cars going up the lift hill, a constant stream of them, each time netting the owner £7.50 - £10.  suppose that's to be balanced with the quiet times as well though.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints

Britcitchris

• Valued Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 03:00:56 PM »
That's exactly it, isn't it.....you need to be raking it in to cover the dead days.....

Chris.

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 12:45:46 PM »
Looks good, cheers for posting the photos Dave and great to see you back posting - you've been missed.

The expense of these rides does amaze me. It is certainly outside my pocket with Linda, myself and two children. But, if there are people out there who can afford it and part with their money, then I suppose you can't blame the ride owners for charging it to cover their costs and make a living.

I do wonder how well (or not so well) they do out of it?

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

cliffc

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 01:20:50 PM »
Hi Dave

Another good report with excelent photos, allthough i am not sure about Masterchef eat your heart out, more like prepre for your heart attack with the choices of food on offer there :)

Regards

Cliff C