Author Topic: Your nostalgic Blackpool memories  (Read 7094 times)

ericbee123

• I am not a number.
    • Blackpool & Layton Angling Society
Re: Your nostalgic Blackpool memories
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2011, 10:26:43 AM »
I always thought, that Windmill at the End Of Waterloo Road was a disguised Sewer Vent, like the 'light-house' at Manchester Square is -- as it originally was sited at Manchester Square, my thoughts on it haven't changed.

The Main sewer -- I believe follows the course of Spen Dike and goes from The Moss, through Spen Corner, up Waterloo Road, splits under that roundabout and goes up Lytham Road to the pumping station at Manchester Square.

Nowadays , it splits somewhere else around the Football Ground and goes into two massive holding tanks under the car parks opposite the new park/Travelodge/Football ground, until it can be pumped to Fleetwood for treatment and into the sea, offshore.

It used to just get pumped out to sea at Harrowside, Waterloo Road, Manchester Square , Gynn Square, etc.

The old sewer pipes are visible at low water at most of these sites.

Maybe it started life as the Sewer Vent disguise and I just assumed it always was as it used to be.

Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2011, 11:15:10 AM »
I believe you are correct on that Eric. I'm sure I have read that too.

I will try and do some digging tonight.

I know I have several Gazette articles that Craig kindly sent me links to.

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

kevinashe

• Valued Poster
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2011, 11:32:11 AM »
That is correct it was built to disguise the sewer vent all those years ago,and where it remained even after the new sewage system only to be removed after the prom wall was rebuilt.I also wonder if the old underground prom toilets were filled in or they still exist under the new prom.

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2011, 01:14:51 PM »
Remember well the old toilets situated just behind the windmill.

If I had a penny for everytime I spent one in there I would break even!!  ;)  :laugh:

I would have been using them ever since I was out of nappies (no Peter, not last week!) They always seemed intimidating in some way.

Many small steps down, turn and face a big caretaker / supervisors office. There was shower facilities available as well and the big old long line of urinals. Never the most pleasant of smells as I recall either.

I can't believ this nostalgia thread has developed into toilet talk - it's just taking the pee!!  :laugh:

kevinashe

• Valued Poster
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 07:12:28 PM »
there was that one and the one further along the prom.There are 2 still in existance although closed one at the front of station road and one in clifton road in the middle island

Rocles

• Les Cotton Music
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2011, 05:14:57 PM »
Just joined the Forum after a tip-off from fellow Musician and Photographer, John Burke

Growing up in East Manchester, Blackpool was the yearly escape for us, always looked forward to it. We'd head off from Manchester Central Station (later it became GMex), as a kid I recall on a steam train, great excitement. Passing through all the strangely named stations, like Moses Gate at Farnworth, then waiting to spot the Tower as we neared our destination.

We always stayed at North Shore, the Sunnycliffe Hotel...the owners, Mr and Mrs Starr, became friends we went there so often ! See attached pic of me in my fab hat, on the grass by the cliffs....A short stroll up the Prom to my fav amusement arcade, Queens Amusements, on the corner of Redbank Rd and the prom...spending the pennies i'd saved all year in the slots, the Roll and Win (?) was always a fav. Then across the road to Ashurst's Cafe Royale, where the owners also had become friends. Both of these places, and most of that corner are pretty much as they were. Another two favs as a kid, the crazy golf on the cliffs near Bispham tram station, and of course, the Boating Pool, loved the little boats there, and the roundabout with the cars and animals on (see photo, featuring me  :laugh:. ) . Also attached, a "then and now" pic of the Boating Pool, circa 1967 and 2007.

A few years later, and I had my first ever Pint in The Bispham pub down Redbank Rd, with my Dad. Happy days...then as an end-of-holiday treat, off for a meal at the Lobster Pot restaurant (as seen in  John's pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/bispham2/5945708534/ ) before getting the train home.

Never would have imagined one day i'd live within sight of the Tower, but I do  :)

Great memories folks, keep 'em coming

cheers,
Les

kevinashe

• Valued Poster
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2011, 07:13:27 PM »
love the hayday boating lake picture,my auntie used to have a hairdressers in holmfield road and many a time we would end up down at the boating lake in the summer sunshine,it was never the same after it was rebuilt and the lake was made smaller.I remember there used to the lake with the speedboats,kiddie rollercoaster and a small arcade,i also rember kids fishing for crabs in the water!!!

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
    • Welcome to Live In Blackpool, I hope you like it..x
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2011, 07:21:14 PM »
Welcome to Live In Blackpool Les, its brilliant that you have joined us.. :thumbup1:

If you need any help with anything just ask a member of the team.. :thumbup1:
BRINGING THE BEST REVIEWS AND BLOGS/VLOGS 

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2011, 04:22:28 AM »
Great first post Les, and welcome to Live In Blackpool.

Are you part of the band John is in? If so I have all your CD's!! (Well one anyway that John very kindly gave me  :))

Rocles

• Les Cotton Music
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2011, 09:01:13 AM »
Thanks for the comments, folks.
No, i'm not in John's band, though I have seen them play over at Myerscough, and we are both fans of the Strawbs. I have a Solo album out, and also play in a Strawbs Tribute band, Strawberry Fools.

My Solo songs are at http://www.lescotton.co.uk

Strawberry Fools at http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=936602

PS...just found out we have a Number One on the Soundclick chart today...see above link  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 09:53:03 AM by Rocles »

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2011, 09:11:08 PM »
There's only two of us now in my "band" - started off with 4, went down to 3 now 2 and he'd better watch himself!!!  :laugh:

And if you can think of any other bands that include songs including Country, Irish, Folk, 50s, 60s, Abba, Take That, Westlife, Status Quo and just good ol' rock and roll let me know!

Good to see you here Les - I've been a bit AWOL of late having been traipsing around the country for work somewhat.

John