Author Topic: Rugby Union World Cup 2011  (Read 856 times)

BelleVueShrew

Rugby Union World Cup 2011
« on: September 10, 2011, 09:35:16 AM »
England are just kicking off their campaign now, as I type against Argentina.

The tornament is being played in New Zealand this time

It is live on ITV1 & ITV1HD for those interested

England are playing in all black for this one.

"Swing low, sweet chariots"  :thumbup:

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

BelleVueShrew

Re: Rugby Union World Cup 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 10:32:59 AM »
Half-time: Argentina 6 England 3

England have conceeded far too many penalties, mainly offside and not releasing. Argentina thoroughly deserve their lead and, in truth, it should be a lot more if their penalty kicking had been more accurate.

Johnny Wilkinson scored England's penalty, but he uncharacteristically missed an easier one to bring it back to 6-6.

England are also a man light with Dan Cole in the sin bin for not releasing, taking the rap for a series of conceeded penalties

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »
England win 13-9  :thumbup:

Tough, tough game

Off to the pub then Shrews V Hereford now as 1pm kick off today. Full report later

ericbee123

• I am not a number.
    • Blackpool & Layton Angling Society
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 06:45:21 PM »
I went to wedding today.

But I saw your first post this morning and managed to watch game before jumping in shower and getting St Christophers church hawes side for 12.

What a game.

Johnny Wilkinson missed loads but still a great exciting game.

Thanks for the heads up.

Did those feet in ancient times walk upon England's mountain's green?
Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.

ericbee123

• I am not a number.
    • Blackpool & Layton Angling Society
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 05:20:27 PM »
Wales / South Africa game was a thriller.

Turning into a cracking competition.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 10:21:23 PM »
What I found amazing with the kicking of both the Argies and England was that they were unable to cope without the natural elements.

Playing under a glass roof really affected them. Wilko missed a couple by a country mile. There was also one straight in front of the posts that he pulled. JW just doesn't miss those. Still, he came good in the end with converting Ben Youngs try and kicking a penalty to give the boys breathing space.

A quick resume of the second half. Argentina came out of the blocks second half where they had lefft off the first as they pushed England back forcing them into erors and penalties.

They went 9-3 up and it could have been more. However, as the half progressed, for the first time in the match, England were focing their opponents back and they were the ones conceeding penalties and looking edgy. Wilko missed a couple of penalties you would have put your mortgage on knowing his accuracy of norm, meaning there were still jitters with Englands precarious position.

Thankfully Ben Youngs showed a lovely turn of feet to dive under the posts to give JW the easiest of kicking chances and this time he didn't fail to put the 'All Blacks' (doesn't sound right, does it?) in the lead for the first time.

Still, at 10-9 the Pumas were only a penalty kick away from regaining the advantage until Wilko kicked another penalty meaning they needed a try to produce an upset.

England had a couple of semi scares late on but, on the whole, they were in the ascendancy the last ten minutes or so to win the game.

Overall though, this game will have done nothing to instill belief that the English can go on and be a force in this tournament. Much the same as four years ago then when, as defending champions, they just got better and better to reach the final, before finally succuming to the hosts South Africa.

Let's just hope they can go on to similar.