Author Topic: The Grand Slam of Darts  (Read 1560 times)

BelleVueShrew

The Grand Slam of Darts
« on: November 19, 2011, 01:12:00 AM »
I think those of you who are regular on here know by now 'I likes me arrers' (am keen on darts)

This tournament provides yet another popular format which pulls the punters in.

It started last Saturday with eight groups of four contesting a round robin group of games, with the top two going through to the last sixteen from each group.

I like it in that it is one of the few tournaments to involve players from both formats of the darts bodies i.e. PDC and BDO

The round robin games produced some shocks and truly memorable games with not much room for error with a best of five outcome settling affairs.

It has made compulsive viewing for me and, with the last sixteen kicking off last night, I found myself getting in from work at midnight and watching the re-run right through from 1am to 5am, 'live' so to speak, so good were the matches, that I just couldn't switch off.

Tonight's games were equally as good and, over the two nights, six of the eight matches went to the wire or within two legs of it. Only Scotland's finest, Gary Anderson, surprisingly dismissing James Wade with consummate ease at 10-3, and the phenomenal Phil Taylor beating Fleetwood's Wes Newton also by 10-3 that had it relatively easy.

The quarters start tomorrow afternoon, must viewing on Sky Sports if 'you like yer arrers'

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

dav43

• Valued Poster
Re: The Grand Slam of Darts
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 02:33:10 AM »
the power has slowly upped his average to just under 114 looking forward to him v nicholson. mind you the count ted hanky is on tomorrow afternoon should be good :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 03:00:35 AM »
Have you ever been to a live darts game Dave?

Wolves is just down the road for you and I. I would love to go, but money dictates otherwise at present. One day though.

With regards Ted Hankey, a local player (Telford) so I really should support him, but I find myself wanting to punch his lights out!!

An infuriating spoiler who, whilst no doubting his natural ability, would rather concentrate on putting his opponent off to underachieve than relying on his own skills to outscore.

The El Hadji Diouf of darts  :cursing:

dav43

• Valued Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 11:53:07 AM »
never been to a event the atmosphere would be great i bet,as for mr hanky phil taylor said it yesterday that he does slow people down and may effect some fast throwers but that is part of the game and you have to deal with that. :)

keno

• Valued Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 12:09:03 PM »
I've not been watching it but have followed the results. Plenty of 10-8 scorelines knocking about.

I think it's inevitable who the likely winner will be though.
C.A.F.C

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 12:14:16 PM »
Much is said of Justin Pipe, Dave. The slowest thrower around but, once the darts are thrown, he is up to the board and away double quick.

Hankey turns to the crowd after throwing, saunters up to the board and back again. Also, if you watch him (and I have never heard the commentators make mention of this), he stands right the way over to the very right of the oche and is there before his opponent has returned with their darts in hand, which forces them to go right round him.

Again, I'm sure that is another little ploy to annoy and intimidate the person he is facing.

I would get round that by coming back the other side of him (i.e. to the left of the board) I would also take my time in doing it too. Two can play spoiling tactics!!

dav43

• Valued Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
i think the players are told to go that way as the camera`s are to the other side and would mean they keep walking in front of them. :thumbup:

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 12:20:05 AM »
Do you think Mr Hankey (can't help thinking South Park, you know  :biggrin:) would stand well over to the left if the cameras were the other side?  ;)

I haven't seen much of the quarters or semis due to being busy outside and then the family taking over with X-Factor and I'm a Celeb  :(

I did see a bit of the Hankey quarter and he was a different man from what I saw. Maybe because he thought he was beaten, even though he did pull it back, fair play.

I did watch the final tonight though whilst doing my review for Richard Ryan. Taylor was awesome. I do like the on screen chemistry between Phil and Gary Anderson though. It is like Gary knows he is being beaten by a superior being. He just shrugs his shoulders, smiles and gets on with it. So good to see the two of them exchanging knowing glances, winks and smiles.

dav43

• Valued Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 09:37:03 AM »
brilliant game from mr taylor,nobody would have beaten him tonight the way he was throwing,xmas time round the corner bring on the world championship. :thumbup: :thumbup: