Author Topic: Ride Hype  (Read 1776 times)

coastercrazyuk

Ride Hype
« on: November 20, 2011, 12:21:53 PM »
Basically what I want to know is what everyone's 'stealth' and 'over-hyped' rides are.

IE: What rides have you gone on expecting the experience to be average due to what you've been told, read or how the ride looks but you've come off thinking "WOW that was awesome!"

Similarly what rides have you gone on expecting the experience to be awesome but come off thinking "that was average/rubbish".

It can be any ride not just Rollercoasters and if you feel like it mention why you reached that view.

[Admin Edit (Adz) - Tidied up and moved topic as per request! :)]
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints

Adz!

• Admin
Re: Ride Hype
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 03:30:24 AM »
I can think of loads, but i'll start with two stand out ones for me.

1) Th13teen (Alton Towers)

This is probably the very definition of 'over hyped' - it claimed to be "Every ride you've ever dreamed of in one" and a whole host of other things. The problem being is that I've been on some of the best Rollercoasters in the world, not just dreamed about them. There is also the inescapable fact that on the other side of the park is one of the best rides in the world in form of Nemesis.

So with that in mind, a small heavily braked drop followed by a helix and a wonky corner followed by a tiny drop and a backwards wonky corner really didn't stand a chance.

Epic Fail.

2) Hex (Alton Towers)

It's not advertised anymore and is easy to miss in the park, or simply overlooked in favour of rides like the above! However what is hidden inside the towers (and accompanying warehouse but shh about that bit) is easily the most cohesive and well themed attraction in the country. It totally hits the mark on everything that this type of ride tries to achieve and is one of my favourite dark rides as a result of that.
Live your life without regret. Don't be someone who they forget!

Jones

• Henry Hound
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 06:57:12 PM »
1) Nemesis, an amazing coaster from start to finish.

2) Nickelodeon Streak, an over-hyped childrens ride.
Dont go alone

Becca

• Valued Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:14:17 PM »
Very well said on Th13teen Adz! That is also the first ride that came to my mind for over hyped!

However, the close second for me, Valhalla (BPB)
Everyone to have roamed the internet by now knows i cant stand this ride. It is meant to be the most amazing dark ride experience, and tbh, it is a failure for me, weather you got soaked, stayed dry or whatever, i just dont like the ride, i find it to be pretty boring and uninteresting. :thumbdown: You expect far more for a ride that lasts that length of time and is made such a big deal of.

As for rides i didn't expect to be any good, Revenge of the Mummy (Universal Studios Florida)
So much i had been told about it (it was ironically described to me as a coaster version of Valhalla!) With the lack of working effects and being bored by the ride. I loved it though, and i have never seen an issue with the effects over all. (Over the times ive ridden it i have seen one or two things fail to work, but it didnt detract from the ride itself.) The coaster actually rates quite high in my list of favorites! :thumbup1:

2) Nickelodeon Streak, an over-hyped childrens ride.
As much as i love the ride, i agree, people make it out to be a lot more than it is.

shimmer

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 01:49:47 AM »
Was Nickelodeon Streak over-hyped?  was it hyped at all?   I don't remember any hype therefore it couldn't be classed as over-hyped.   Splash-bash was the only ride that was Hyped.

Becca

• Valued Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 08:43:03 AM »
Way over hyped by "fans" rather than the pb is whats being got at here.

Jones

• Henry Hound
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 09:00:36 PM »
They had the ideal option to rid themselves of a wooden coaster, I mean they were well over half way towards going through with it. For some reason they performed an 11th hour U-turn and painted it Orange, and gave it an even dafter name to what it had in the first place and people stand in line for the same ride they walked past 10 years ago.
Dont go alone

Becca

• Valued Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 10:12:58 PM »
I don't see what that had to do with ride hype, but onward we shall go...

They had the ideal option to rid themselves of a wooden coaster
Ok, so stepping out of reality for a second, maybe you are right, however, away from fantasy land any woodie that has stood the test of time like many around the world have and still manage to operate close to what they did 70/80 years ago have certainly earned their spot until the day they literally crumble to the ground. Why any wooden coaster of that age should be considered to be pulled down is daft. Yes, it may be a kids coaster (And in the opinion of many, a well performing one at that!) that does not make it any less deserving of its space. Steel coasters are easily replaceable, but a 1930's woodie is a whole different story! 

I mean they were well over half way towards going through with it. For some reason they performed an 11th hour U-turn
For now, it stands and until that wrecking ball is half way through tearing it down i wouldn't believe a word anyone said about this kind of rubbish.

painted it Orange, and gave it an even dafter name to what it had in the first place
Yes, the orange is ridiculous, and it will never settle with me, but i cant help thinking if roller was torn down and replaced with a brand new bright orange coaster anyone would have said all that much. a dafter name? Yeah, i dont like the new one either, however, Roller Coaster was a perfectly good name, simple and to the point, does what it says on the tin kinda thing.

and people stand in line for the same ride they walked past 10 years ago.
Pleasure beach must be doing something right then. ;)
 Im pretty sure a lot of parks would love to get riders back with 'painting it orange and giving it a daft name' :sleep:

Most of that is applied to any wooden coaster, im not bothered about defending Roller/Streak, people have their opinions on certain rides, but to say such a wooden coaster just needs torn down is daft.

shimmer

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 09:12:16 PM »
Jones please don't bring this forum down to a slag-fest, It's not that kind of forum.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:33:08 PM by shimmer »

Jones

• Henry Hound
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 03:18:17 AM »
Standing the test of time is not a hard thing to do in a park that hasn't had a new coaster since 1994 becca. That ride is a weak link between the other wooden rides and should have been axed after 2008. It would be easy to replace it with a modern none-looper from B&M with great capacity, but pb went for the cheaper way of doing the job, besides to the public its a poor bigdipper.   
Dont go alone

Britcitchris

• Media Manager And Unofficial Duke Of Norfolk
  • Valued Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 12:30:13 PM »
Erm, no new coaster since 94? What about Infusion? Although it was a relocated coaster, it was still a new addition to the park....

Roller Coaster in my humble opinion is terrific coaster. It's smooth, fun and suitable for many ages. As Becca rightly said, it would be daft to get rid of a coaster with so much heritage behind it. I'm also not keen on the new look but at least the 'ol girl has a new lease of life and helps the park maintain a superb selection of modern and vintage rides....

Chris.

Jones

• Henry Hound
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »
After my last visit i change my mind and say its better than the bigdipper
Dont go alone