Author Topic: Darts World Championship 2012  (Read 2870 times)

BelleVueShrew

Darts World Championship 2012
« on: December 15, 2011, 04:55:16 PM »
Is it really a year since the last one?

Adrian 'Jackpot' Lewis will be looking to retain his title, but it will be that man Taylor they all have to beat again.

The tournament starts today with coverage on Sky Sports  :thumbup:

Bring it on!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:10:24 AM by BelleVueShrew »

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

BelleVueShrew

Re: Darts World Champioship 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 02:49:36 PM »
I only saw very brief highlights on Sky Sports News last night due to working.

Defending champion Lewis found himself 2-0 down and on the verge of being buried last night by Nigel 'The Undertaker' Heydon. He came back to win 3-2, finally winning the deciding set 5-3, having being 2-1 down in that.

He certainly looks as though he intends to defend his title the hard way!! I personally can't see him doing it. His form is too shaky and everyone raises their game now to beat the World Champ and he seems unable to cope with it in the way Taylor can handle it.

In the battle of the Welshies, Richie Burnett sprang a surprise in beating one of my tips to perhaps give Mr Taylor a run for his money, Mark Webster. Burnett won 3-2 in an apparently thrilling tie, which saw a total of TWENTY 180's hit!

Phil Taylor starts his challenge to win back his World crown tonight when he will face the winner of a preliminary round qualifer that takes place earlier.

BelleVueShrew

Re: Darts World Championship 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:24:45 PM »
Barney Out

I know the commentary team last night were acting like it was the biggest upset in the history of the Darts World Championship, but you know what, I was half expecting it.

He is a shadow of the player he once was and lets his head drop far too easily after a couple of indifferent shots. I expect him to shoot down the rankings now.

He may still make the Premier League next year because he is such a big draw, but his form doesn't merit it.

Onto Barney's conqueror, and much credit must be given to James Richardson, who only turned pro in January and was making his TV debut. His throwing was a model of consistency and he repeated a 145 checkout to show his nerve and skill.

Last night was the first night I was able to sit down and watch a whole session and thoroughly enjoyable it was too. There were also wins last night for Belgium Kim Huybrechts, who made very easy work of an extremely disappointing Brendan Dolan and Dave 'Chizzy' Chisnall saw off Mark dudbridge with relative ease too.

In the final game of the night, Mark Walsh beat New Zealand qualifier from earlier in the evening, Warren French 3-1.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:53:38 AM by BelleVueShrew »

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 05:40:46 PM »
Did anyone see the game last night between Gary Anderson and Germany's Jyhan Artut?

What a fantastic match, made so by the fact that Gary's old inability to hit doubles came to the fore again.

He found himself 2 sets to 0 down before pulling level. It seemed like Anderson would then go on and win but the Artut refused to buckle and, at 2-2 and with the two clear leg rule coming in it could have gone either way.

Indeed Artut broke the Anderson throw to lead 5-4 and even had doubles for the match, which he uncharacteristically missed, allowing Gary to level at 5 legs all and force a sudden death decider.

Anderson won the Bull, which they both hit twice each before Artut missed after Anderson had hit it an amazing third time, tremendous considering the pressure.

Anderson went on to win that leg comfortably, but what a fantastic game and advert for darts. The first round concludes tonight with Simon Whitlock making a return after his fractured ankle.

Bring on Round Two, which has a lot to live up to after some fantastic first round battles   :thumbup1:

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 11:24:32 AM »
Just to conclude the first round round-up from Wednesday night.

Old one leg, Simon Whitlock with his broken leg, put in an absolutely fantastic performance as he raced to a 3-0 win and topped the first round averages with a stunning 105 that even the Power would have been proud of.

With this being his first game since the fracture and his leg still in plaster, it really was an awesome performance. It can't of being easy playing against Dennis 'Smiffy' Smith either, a very deliberate player. It will be interesting to see how 'The Wizard' performs later in the competition as the legs increase and he has to spend longer on stage.

The other wow game of the night was Steve Brown against South African qualifier Devon Petersen, which was another tie to go all the way. In the end Petersen came through to win 3-2 (4 legs to 2 in the deciding set after being 2 legs to 0 down) and cause another upset.

keno

• Valued Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 02:03:44 AM »
Taylor OUT!

Chizzy through.

Nice one Chizz.
C.A.F.C

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 02:08:17 AM »
The Power has gone out

Well, well, well. The darts resumed today and suddenly everybody probably thinks 'I can win it this year' and that is thanks to a tremendous display by Dave 'Chizzy' Chisnell who beat Phil 'The Power' Taylor by 3 sets to 1 this evening.

Chisnell played really well, despite missing the occasional shot. Phil was not on top of his game tonight, but even so, all credit to Chizzy who never took his foot off the gas and has to be considered a real contender for the title.

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 11:09:49 AM »
I missed the Wednesday afternoon session as I was at work, but having seen brief highlights, it was great to see Aussie Simon Whitlock continue to show he is a real threat for the tournament as he impressively beat Steve Beaton 4-1.

In the evening, what a game between the Flying Scotsman, Gary Anderson and the qualifier from South Africa, Devon Petersen. Anderson came through 4-2 but Petersen pushed him all the way in a real high quality game. The match produced 170 maximum's (11 from Anderson) and 35 140+'s (22 from Petersen). I'm sure we will hear more from Petersen.

The evening then moved onto the third round ties and champion, Adrian Lewis easily saw off a disappointing Wayne Jones 4-0 whilst Terry 'The Bull' Jenkins eased past Justin Pipe 4-1 to also reach the last eight.

The third round concludes this afternoon and evening

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 02:28:04 PM »
As we finished work early yesterday, I was able to watch all but the first set of bad boy Paul Nicholson against Belgium's Kim Huybrechts.

I have to say, it is a joy watching Mr Huybrechts, if only for the constant camera shots of his delightful girlfriend, Dana  :tongue_smilie:  :wub:

Back to the darts and Huybrechts thoroughly deserved his victory over the Aussie, Geordie. Nicholson did smash a fantastic 170 finish, but that was followed by a 180 by Huybrects at the start of the next leg as he never lost his composure.

And, with victory complete, it was fantastic to have an interview with both Kim and his girlfriend Dana!!!  :love: I think Sky are well aware that she is a very pretty face indeed. I mean, they don't normally interview the other players wives / girlfriends do they. Still, I'm not complaining about some eye candy interjecting the darts  :thumbup:

Back to darts (must we?) and I was really pleased to see Simon Whitlock fend off the challenge of Michel Van Gerwen. He raced into a 3-0 lead as MVG showed inconsistency on the board and a complete inability to hit doubles. But then the Dutchman found some form and it was the Wizard's turn to show some jitters as MVG pulled back to three sets each (after Whitlock missed a double to win the match on 2 legs apiece before MVG took the set to level with his next throw).

Anyway, Whitlock took the deciding set 3-1 and I would really love to see him win the tournament (so long as Dana is in the audience and there are plenty of shots of her  ;)) whether he has the temperment to see a major final through though is another matter.

The darts is really hotting up now and I think this has been the best tournament ever for quality of play and sheer drama in so many games  :thumbup:

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 09:00:26 PM »
Well unfortunately Kim Huybrechts lost yesterday, the even bigger travesty being that I was at work whilst it was taking place so didn't get to see the ample (I'm sure) crowd shots over to where Dana would have been sat  :(

His conqueror, Andy 'The Hammer' Hamilton averaged over 102 though and is playing well so deserved his victory. I was able to catch the last three sets of a magnificent scrap between John Part of Canada and England's James Wade. This was another to go right the way to the very end as neither could gain a two leg advantage in the final set (although both players had a chance too) and so it went to sudden death at five legs all.

James Wade came through it to book his place in the semi-finals and set up a meeting with the winner of the evening match between Terry Jenkins and current champion Adrian Lewis.

First match of the evening saw Simon Whitlock take on Gary Anderson. Personally, I would have loved to have seen this as the final, and I would be quite happy to see either win the tournament as I like both players a lot. It looked to be a close match on paper. The oche proved a different matter though as the Wizard of Oz ran out a comfortable 5-1 winner and yes, Anderson went 1-0 up!! It should have been a lot closer as, apart from the first set, Anderson failed to take his chances on his doubles.

Anderson was also visibly becoming agitated about having to wait for Whitlock to retrieve his darts and return (the broken ankle of the Australian obviously slowing him down). For me that ultimately led to his downfall and Gary needs to learn to adjust to other players styles and not let it affect his own game.

So pleased for Skippy (or should that read Hoppy  ;)) though. I really hope he can go all the way and win it. Perhaps that is because I'm married to an Ozzie, but even discarding that, I just like the way he plays the game and his demeanor.

Final game of the night saw Adrian Lewis defeat the Bull 5-3 in a match which saw Lewis come out of the starting blocks like a rocket. Jenkins never gave up, but he just couldn't cope with 'Jackpot's' scoring and finishing. At 3-0 up it looked like a whitewash on the cards. The Bull had only won two legs in the first three sets, though he did boast a 100% checkout in those!

However Jenkins kept going and remarkably pulled it back to three sets all as Lewis' game suddenly faltered. Despite some jitters though Lewis came back and closed the game out 5-3. He then chose the post match interview to have a pop at the crowd for booing him and 'disrespecting the World Champion'.

I've got news for you Adrian, they have been doing that throughout the tournament to so many players. If you don't like it, revert to the BDC format! I don't agree with a lot that goes on from the crowds in the PDC, but it is the same for all players with the noise levels and shouting. Having a go at the paying public will only intensify the levels at which they have a pop at you.   

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 01:04:17 PM »
The semi-finals are tonight live on Sky and, in 3D as well as HD.

First up at 19.40 is England's Andy 'The Hammer' Hamilton against Australian Simon 'The Wizard' Whitlock.

Followed by the all England clash between current holder, Adrian 'Jackpot' Lewis and James 'The Machine' Wade and there is no love lost between these two where there have been a number of run-ins in the past.

It's serious now and the first to six sets sees victory and a place in the grand final tomorrow evening.

keno

• Valued Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 02:24:26 PM »
Whitlock - Wade final i reckon.  :tongue_smilie:

What do you think Chris?
C.A.F.C

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 03:16:22 PM »
That is the final I would love to see Keno.

I really wouldn't like to call it though. Hamilton is playing really well. He is a slower thrower himself, so won't be put off by the Wizard hobbling up to the board and back again.

Lewis will be an interesting one. I think the crowd will really try and rile him now after he bit and made those comments at the end of his match with Terry Jenkins the other night. The majority will be supporting Wade. The fact that he doesn't like Wade (and vice versa) could just see Lewis get rattled and lose his cool and momento.

On the other hand, if Lewis is on top of his game I think he is the slightly better player.

If I have to lay a prediction I will go for Hamilton and Wade to win through. Hamilton has just got better and better and I honestly think Lewis will get agitated and blow it.

keno

• Valued Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 05:50:14 PM »
Well i am going to have a £10 double which will pay £32.

So come on Whitlock & Wade in their respective matches  :thumbup:
C.A.F.C

keno

• Valued Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 11:23:01 PM »
From a betting point of a view i can't believe what i have just witnessed.

Hamilton races in to a 3-1 lead but then the Whitlock does a 170 and then on doesn't even give Hamilton a chance at a double as he steam rolls him to take a 5-3 lead and then the dreaded time-out BREAK argghh  :glare:

I can't believe the Hammer came back from that!
C.A.F.C