Author Topic: Quiz question  (Read 5604 times)

kevinashe

• Valued Poster
Re: Quiz question
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 07:38:35 PM »
Its just one of those things john walking back from bpb in it heyday when it was open to 11pm and parts of the illuminations that were being assembled in darkness.If im correct it had ropelight around the bottom and possibly the top although it was only in white (technology in those days) it brought a bit of light to the prom when the illums werent on!!

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 09:26:11 PM »
I definitely remember the ropelight but think towards the end they were blue and green?  Hard to be sure though without a photo to help the old memory :-)

John

Blackpoolghosts

• Live In Blackpool Paranormal Expert.
    • Blackpool Ghosts
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 11:24:44 PM »
Yes I'm wondering the same myself, Kevin. If anyone is likely to have one, then it is John Burke.

I'll give him a ring (but probably not at this hour!  :laugh:)

I should think not too - I was in the bath... 

If I have then I haven't found it yet.  The mermaid not the bath.  There is also no mermaid in the bath (I checked under the scum...)

A sort of record - I'm only just over a month late in answering this...  Those in the know will know why I've been absent.  For those who don't, I've been slavishly writing a book on Blackpool which had a deadline of end of May.  This will feature a bunch of old postcards - many from the collection of Chris and many more from my own collection plus modern photos taken from the same spot - or as close as I could get.

The photos and text have now gone off to the publisher and the book - to be called "Blackpool: Then and Now" (yes I know...) should be in the shops for Christmas.

There's a few Blackpool photos appearerd at my flickr account recently and if it seemed I was leaving out some obvious views then the reason is those shots were for the book!

I can now breathe a sigh of relief and carry on with projects that came to a crashing halt.  Chris, the DVD of old cine films is one of those...

Cheers me dears,
John

Smashing !! news , have a date for mine 1.3.12, Maybe if we swop signed books !!!

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 08:27:12 AM »
Smashing !! news , have a date for mine 1.3.12, Maybe if we swop signed books !!!

Ooh!  Tell more!  Or if you already have, point me in the right direction  :blushing:

John

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 08:36:05 AM »
Ah!  Found it!  Yes, Steve at the North Pier got all excited when I told him what I was doing and said there was someone else writing a book about the pier itself.  Good luck with it!  Mine is also coming out from The History Press. It comes out on 1 January 2013. 

Amazon page

Darn and I thought that it was going to be a good source of Christmas presents  :laugh: :laugh:

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »
Thanks Kevin and John for confirming it being lit outside the illuminations season.

I can only remember the ropelight being white at the top and bottom of the cylinder.

Here is another question - When did it disappear from the promenade? Was it when the restaurant became McD's or was it before then? Also what happened to it?

When I get all the info I may write a book about it!!!  :biggrin:

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

kevinashe

• Valued Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 02:46:19 PM »
I can recall that one season it was the fish restaurant and the next season it was being kitted out for mcdonalds the mermaid was gone by then, not sure if macdonalds originally put a lit sign in its place!

Blackpoolghosts

• Live In Blackpool Paranormal Expert.
    • Blackpool Ghosts
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 10:25:43 PM »
Ah!  Found it!  Yes, Steve at the North Pier got all excited when I told him what I was doing and said there was someone else writing a book about the pier itself.  Good luck with it!  Mine is also coming out from The History Press. It comes out on 1 January 2013. 

Amazon page

Darn and I thought that it was going to be a good source of Christmas presents  :laugh: :laugh:

we shall swamp the market !!

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 07:54:20 PM »
we shall swamp the market !!

Given my experiences trying to get home from Newcastle in the floods last Thursday (see my blog) I'll give "swamps" a miss...  ;)

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Back on subject - found any Mermaid photos yet John?

Have you been on Facebook - Friends of Blackpool illuminations yet? I have linked to a few of your fine photos on there  :thumbup1:

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »
Back on subject - found any Mermaid photos yet John?

Have you been on Facebook - Friends of Blackpool illuminations yet? I have linked to a few of your fine photos on there  :thumbup1:

Hi Chris - I suspect I have no photos of the mermaid.  However on the film of the 1976 Illuminations (no I still haven't got it onto DVD - but soon!!!) there is this.

Look familiar?

Have also "liked the page" and found a new person to beg to be friends with  :laugh:

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 03:27:51 AM »
Certainly does John. Though I was convinced they were split into two levels. Now I am doubting myself.

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 07:39:13 PM »
There is a picture on the inside cover of 'From Lamp To Laser' that shows a section of the perspex cylindrical features, though it is black and white and you can't see whether they are the dolls or soldiers.

However, unlike John's still below, they are definitely split into two sections with two items inside, a piece of fibre glass round the middle of the perspex as well as at the top and bottom.