Author Topic: new trams  (Read 1041 times)

kevinashe

• Valued Poster
new trams
« on: May 07, 2012, 07:00:53 PM »
Here is a video of the new trams (note how quiet they are)
http://youtu.be/SJTHqKg9V5o

slacker

• Valued Poster
Re: new trams
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 02:11:54 PM »
Having moved from Blackpool over two months ago now, I got my first opportunity to ride the new trams yesterday and I have to say - what an improvement over the old ones.

And given it was a Friday with town and pleasure beach rather quiet, it was good to see that every tram on the 20 minute timetable was well over 75% loaded.

The only think I would say is that the drivers perhaps need to be taught to drive a little more economically. I dont know whether it is the tram control systems or the way the drivers were handling the vehicles, but the accelerations away from the stops were needlessly heavy.

But otherwise I would say that they are an asset to the system and would suggest now is the time to start planning on expanding the system with another route - perhaps using LR55 rail rather than traditional track.
Education is that which remains after you have forgotten everything else you have been taught.

kevinashe

• Valued Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 08:54:28 PM »
We hoped to go on one but the service when we needed to use one was diabolical.In the time we waited about 15 mins we saw a family of five walk away,a couple decide to keep on walking and another family of four also left,we (4) also left to get a taxi.An amazing amount of trade lost when public transport cant afford to do it!!!

slacker

• Valued Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 09:30:26 PM »
The one thing that surprised me was the lack of a real time information system. Given that one could have been installed quite easily during construction, it seems a bit of a mystery to me why one wasn't installed.
Education is that which remains after you have forgotten everything else you have been taught.