Author Topic: New book published by Member John Burke  (Read 2307 times)

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
New book published by Member John Burke
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:02:30 PM »
Introducing my new baby - my first novel, a fantasy: King And King To Be. It has published today on Amazon for the Kindle and other eReaders.   I know some of you will be aware I am currently awaiting publication of a book on Blackpool itself, but this one snuck in there to come out first!

I wrote this mainly during the 1980s and then it got put aside when I got immersed in computers and learned a new career which has taken me to where I am now.

The book took on the role of "retirement project" but with the advent of ebooks and the ease of self-publishing now I've taken it up again over the past few months and edited and proofed and edited again several times until I'm struggling to find the mistakes that are probably still in there!

The product description reads:

Britain in the Dark Ages. But a Britain that has been forgotten by history. A Britain where elves, fairies and goblins still reside, feared and mistrusted by Men.

As a dark force threatens to conquer the kingdoms of Men they turn to the elves and a wizard for help. Together they seek for the one person who could save the Britain of the sixth century. A man called Arthur. A man who was born and lives in the twentieth century...

A startling first novel by J D Burke combines fantasy with half-familiar legend and a hero who struggles to accept the fate that he once thought was either a story or that belonged to someone else.

A huge thank you goes to my cousin, graphic artist, Catherine Metcalfe, for the fabulous cover. The brief I gave her was "Stonehenge, a sword and some idea of magic"... I cannot fault her interpretation.

It can be found on Amazon at http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008BL7HUG

John

BelleVueShrew

Re: New book published by Member John Burke
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 07:30:38 PM »
Photographer, historian, musician and now writer - is there no end to this man's talents?  :thumbup:

It looks a seriously inviting cover that makes you want to pick it up and read  :thumbup1:

It also sounds an interesting plot. Will it be appearing as a paperback or hardback in bookshops John?

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 09:03:29 PM »
Sorry for delay (again) out on road all week - saw your reply on my phone but the phone doesn;t have the cookie with the password and could I remember it????  ???

Will be looking into hard copies but not until this travelling lark quietens down in a couple of weeks.  Have just got back in from a round trip of Newcastle upon Tyne, Nottingham and Bromley in Kent...  Nearly everywhere has same weather as here...

Oh, and some people say "Is there no start to this man's talents..."  But thanks for the thought!  Very kind!

John

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »
Hi John

Is this book available to buy in the shops yet? I don't have a Kindle.

Not sure if you are aware but there are two reviews of it now, very favourable too. See below:

5.0 out of 5 stars Tolkien with Attitude, 29 Jun 2012
By
Mr. W. J. Peacock "John to my friends" (Newcastle UK) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)   
This review is from: King And King To Be (Kindle Edition)
As an avid reader of any books about the dark ages and the Arthurian legends in particular. I was interested when I heard of a new author entering this populat arena where the competition is so tough. As soon as I stared to read this well written and engaging book I was hooked. An enticing mix of fact, fable, legend and fantasy with a clever twist. I would certainly recommend this book and am looking forward to this author's next book, albeit sequel or prequel.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read with the WOW factor!, 16 Jun 2012
By
Janice Cooke "PS I love you!" (South Devon. UK) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: King And King To Be (Kindle Edition)
I read the description and it sounded like my kind of book. I love Merlin, Arthur, pagan and fantasy mingled with a touch of history. This book has it all and more. I downloaded a sample which was nice and lengthy comprising of the Prologue and Two Chapters. I simply couldn't put it down. So of course I had to buy the whole caboodle! I will give a further comment when I have finished this excellent book. I am thoroughly enjoying reading this. It is very descriptive and the characters simply come alive. It is also extremely well written without any typos, spelling mistakes or bad grammar! Don't take my word for it - go and buy your own copy! 

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 10:19:01 PM »
No, it's not available in paperback yet.  I have no publisher interested as yet so it will be a self publishing and will take a while yet.  I have to get artwork done in a different format and to cope with the spine and a back cover too.  It will be a while yet I'm afraid.  But it has sold a few on Kindle and I hope it will sell a few more!  I must admit the two reviews are from people I know - even if not well and not recently.  So they may be biassed.  You can read the first chapter and a bit online at the Amazon page though so that may be the best way to form an opinion! 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008BL7HUG

I'm currently writing a prequel to it and just finished writing Chapter 3 tonight!

The Blackpool book may well come out first!  See Blackpool Then And Now

John

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 12:39:38 PM »
The book is on a FREE promotion this weekend.  If anyone downloads it and likes it, please consider leaving a review or at least telling all your friends about it!  ;)

Still only for the Kindle I'm afraid...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008BL7HUG

Thanks,
John