Author Topic: Blackpool and it's "famous" residents.  (Read 4946 times)

Sixties_Kid

Blackpool and it's "famous" residents.
« on: July 26, 2012, 02:02:00 AM »
For a while now I have been saying that I will write a short series of articles about Blackpool's more "famous" residents, but I never got around to it! But now I have a bit of time on my hands, so here goes!

It has always struck me as being a little odd that some actors who were born in Blackpool, moved away to find their fame and fortune, (thinking John Inman, David Thewlis), whilst many Northern entertainers, when they have become successful, seem to gravitate towards the Fylde, in much the same way as Southern based entertainers seem to end up in Brighton & Hove!

Frank Randall, Violet Carson, Jimmy Clitheroe all settled in Blackpool during it's heyday, much loved comedian Les Dawson spent may happy years living in Lytham, the late Frank Carson made Blackpool his home, and more recently Bobby Ball upped sticks from Rochdale and also settled in Lytham!

Not forgetting Reginald Dixon who became known nationally as Mr Blackpool, and Italian born world famous clown Charlie Cairoli who arrived at the Blackpool Tower Circus for a summer season engagment in 1939 and never left, making the resort his home until his deah in 1980.

The first entertainer I will feature is Jimmy Clitheroe, the dinimutive 4ft 3inch tall comic actor who made his home in Bispham!

I will post my feature on Jimmy on 27/072012
Always look for the positive.....

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
Re: Blackpool and it's "famous" residents.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 08:05:04 AM »
I look forward to that Sixties Kid!   I used to love The Clitheroe Kid on the radio and have a few episodes lurking on the hard drive.  I remember seeing him by chance, as he went into the stage door of the Winter Gardens down the side alley in the sixties.

And remembering Danny Ross's wonderful character Alfie Hall:

"What's your name?"
"Alf Hall"
"Well I'll catch you - what's your name?"

cliffc

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 10:53:39 AM »
Hi

I used to listen to the Clithroe kid and i also remember seeing him live at the now long gone Queens Theatre he was 2nd act Joesph Loke was top of the bill this wouid have been in the late 60's

Regards

Cliff C

Sixties_Kid

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:51:38 PM »
For anyone interested, selected episodes of The Clitheroe Kid are being repeated on Sunday's on BBC Radio 4xtra!

Morning, afternoon and evening transmissions I think!

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 04:14:22 PM »
Good stuff Sixties_Kid  :thumbup1:

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

Sixties_Kid

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »
Many apologies for the delay in getting this series up and running, but have now posted the first two profiles, Jimmy Clitheroe and Violet Carson.  :thumbup: