Author Topic: South Shore Station Demolition  (Read 4716 times)

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
South Shore Station Demolition
« on: July 26, 2012, 08:26:15 AM »
Came across a few photos of the demolishing of the station buildings in March 1985

Larger versions from my Flickr account - the shots are in the Blackpool Town set.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:29:10 AM by JohnBurke »

kevinashe

• Valued Poster
Re: South Shore Station Demolition
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:28:49 PM »
John somewhere within the station buildings there was a large model rail layout,im sure in was accessable from the top end of waterloo road

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 04:21:45 PM »
John somewhere within the station buildings there was a large model rail layout,im sure in was accessable from the top end of waterloo road

Yes, this subject has been brought up before and I too remember a model railway and goind with my parents as a young child.

As you look at the second photo, I'm sure it was on the near, left side of the bridge i.e. the left hand side of the road if you are travelling in the direction of heading to Blackpool seafront, just over the bridge.

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

ericbee123

• I am not a number.
    • Blackpool & Layton Angling Society
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 04:47:46 PM »
It was inside the Station building.

You walked past the ticket booths, argued with the ticket checker that you where not going on the platform, so didn't need a 5p platform ticket or a train ticket.

There was a model shop and the model railway beyond that.

The newsagents on Highfield Road, the toy shop on Abingdon street ( floor 2 ) and Blackpool South Station where all places that I bought my Airfix kits from.

( Only the newsagents on Highfield Road still sells Airfix -- indeed it is the only one of the three still there ! )
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:49:49 PM by ericbee123 »
Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 08:16:28 PM »
I wonder how many Airfix kits I've made...  I used to make a lot of WWI fighter planes and hang them on the washing line then shoot them down with an airgun... 

This however, was the first Airfix kit I ever made.

Sixties_Kid

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 01:19:43 AM »
I remember "running in" to Blackpool South on a couple of occasions during the sixties!

After Blackpool Central suddenly closed as the end of the '64 season, (a decision taken by the local authority, against recomendations given in the Beeching report, stating that Blackpool Central station should be developed as the main transport hub in the town, and that Blackpool North, and possibly at a later stage Blackpool South should be closed), we were unable to get a through train to Blackpool from my local station, having to change in Manchester, and then cross town to get a connection up to Blackpool!

On a couple of occasions, I remember pulling in to Manchester Piccadilly, and getting a connection from there, which pulled in to Blackpool South!

It always struck me as being an odd little station, none of the hustle and bustle of Central or North, in fact it didn't even "feel" like a Blackpool station at all!

It almost felt like a station from a completely different time altogther!

I cant say I ever really took to the station, but as I say, I can only ever remember pulling in there twice, and then it was always Blackpool North, when it was a "real" station, and not just using the excursion platforms, which is what the station consists of today!
Always look for the positive.....

ericbee123

• I am not a number.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 09:15:04 AM »
I wonder how many Airfix kits I've made...  I used to make a lot of WWI fighter planes and hang them on the washing line then shoot them down with an airgun... 

John, you might like to read about this 'big kit' in 1/1 scale being built !!

http://www.cometracer.co.uk/

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 09:55:05 AM »

John, you might like to read about this 'big kit' in 1/1 scale being built !!

http://www.cometracer.co.uk/

Excellent news and thanks Eric for bringing it to attention.  It would make a wonderful sight in the sky - it's a beautiful aircraft!

Clive

• Big One
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 08:58:41 PM »
Many thanks for the pictures of the demise of South Station.
I can find so few photos on the net of South.
Probably more photos of the original South Station at Station Road.
Closing Central Station was a huge error.
If they kept Central, as recommended in the Beeching report, imo railway usage in Blackpool would be much higher.
Wish we could get it reopened.

WyldeFyre

• Valued Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 08:35:13 AM »
Just for info...I remember the model railway very well...there was a large gold sign up outside and it was called "Platform 3"

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 08:41:22 AM »
The twenty year legacy of the Central Station closure - the wasteland where the tracks were.  Taken from Waterloo Road bridge.

The Rail Route to Blackpool Central Station, June 1985 by JohnBurke, on Flickr

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 11:13:06 AM »
Well, at least it was developed in the end, but what an eyesore back then. And it was like that for 20 years John?  :ohmy:

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 09:43:03 PM »
Well we only moved to Blackpool in '76 but it was like that until the late 80s when the new road into the car park was built.  There were all sorts of rumours about Disney having a site there or near Stanley Park where the DeVere is now.  I doubt that the Pleasure Beach would have been all that pleased about that though!  And with both sites together I don't think there would have been enough room for Disney unless he had bought up all the hotels south of Central Pier for a Disney Village...!

ericbee123

• I am not a number.
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 10:37:41 AM »
I was told the 'full facts' of the Disney story, by a close friend of a local Millionaire Businessman who flies over Blackpool on Tuesday and Thursday on his way to/from work in his private helicopter -- he used to own some well known Blackpool landmarks and is chairman of a certain rubbish lower league Knob End football team.

This well known businessman was in discussions with Blackpool Council and Disney for Disney to set up Disneyland Europe in the UK ( France, Spain and Germany being other European countries where sites for Euro-Disney to be based where also being looked at ).

The site for Euro-Disney was to be on Council owned land to the East of Stanley Park.

This Lancashire Businessman and Disney met with Blackpool Council.

Blackpool Council wanted to rent ( or sell ) them the land for £ 1 million an acre.

Which when you take into consideration, this was in the 70's and Disneyland Paris is about 5,000 acres in size, meant that Blackpool was a pretty expensive option.

After this fell through, the land eventually became Blackpool Zoo and the De Vere hotel and golf course - probably for a considerably less figure than £ 1 million an acre.

Of course all that could be rubbish -- but the facts that I know are true are that the person telling me has an interest in Camelot at Charnock Richards and is a close friend of the nameless very rich person who can be seen at 5:45 at about 1,000 feet over my house on Tuesdays and Thursdays in a white, very noisy, helicopter, going home.

Nice to know that the chairman of PKE flies over Bloomers ( a successful club ) every Tuesday and Thursday :)

kevinashe

• Valued Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 05:12:58 PM »
didnt disney do a fact finding visit to bpb to get ideas,it sticks in my mind that this was done in either the 70s or 80s