Author Topic: Top Hat ride burntisland funfair 2012  (Read 3012 times)

kevinashe

• Valued Poster
Top Hat ride burntisland funfair 2012
« on: August 11, 2012, 07:46:38 PM »
Here is a clip of a classic rare ride,only 6 left in the uk according to the owner and the original one from wonderwest world (butlins) at Ayr.Quite amazing to think how old these rides are yet a few still survive
http://youtu.be/uD5YguatgVU

BelleVueShrew

Re: Top Hat ride burntisland funfair 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:06:04 PM »
Any idea where the other 5 are?

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

kevinashe

• Valued Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 04:27:45 PM »
I will try and find out chris,the oldest was built after the war (1946),i was just amazed to see one of these old machines still going so much so i just had to have a shot!!.I was also asking the owner why i havent seen it before in central scotland where i live,he did say he was going to go to grangemouth this year but went to peebles fair instead which is on the same day.He was telling me that he had made the wrong choice as peebles was very poor this year,so i was persuading him that on £1 night the rides all run full all night at Grangemouth and the capacity of his ride he would have made a fair few bob that night

cliffc

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 01:01:13 PM »
Hi

When in the early to mid 70's when Crows fair had a ride like this it was known as Satelite and i have had many rides on a this ride when on eston rec ground for the annual play week

Cliff C

kevinashe

• Valued Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 06:56:16 PM »
its also known as the trabbant,mexican hat, top hat.Sheffield university have an archive page but ithink its out of date and not a accurate as they think.According to the owner the ayr one went to a  caravan park in inverness where it remained for a year before he bought it,this doesnt show in the records.If i bump into the guy again i will try and get its number so i can give sheffield more info

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 03:12:42 PM »
its also known as the trabbant,mexican hat, top hat.Sheffield university have an archive page but ithink its out of date and not a accurate as they think.According to the owner the ayr one went to a  caravan park in inverness where it remained for a year before he bought it,this doesnt show in the records.If i bump into the guy again i will try and get its number so i can give sheffield more info

That will be Vanessa Toulmin's site, who has been busy writing the new book in honour of the centenary illuminations  :thumbup1:

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)