Author Topic: Tripe  (Read 9361 times)

JeremyPaxham

Tripe
« on: September 13, 2012, 03:03:51 PM »
Bit of an odd one, this - my wife and I are due to spend a week in Blackpool sampling the delights of the illuminations.

Does anyone know if we will be able to buy tripe anywhere and if so, where?

Many thanks.

BelleVueShrew

Re: Tripe
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 04:46:55 PM »
Hello Jeremy, welcome to Live In Blackpool.

In answer to your question, unfortunately, no, I don't. Then again I am not a local and it is not something I would be looking for.

Hopefully one of our local posters can help you, there are a few.

Have you tried googling a search for it?

Kind Regards, Chris 

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

ericbee123

• I am not a number.
    • Blackpool & Layton Angling Society
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »
You can buy The Sun at any newspaper agents, that's full of tripe.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 12:07:26 AM »
You can buy The Sun at any newspaper agents, that's full of tripe.

:cursing: How many times have I told you about swearing on here Eric? Admin can a swear filter be put in please so that the excuse of a newspaper Eric mentioned comes up either as S*n or, more preferable, Scum

JeremyPaxham

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 07:08:04 AM »
Thanks, BelleVueShrew.  I had a go with Dr Google but the first result for "tripe Blackpool" was a superbreak weekend in Blackpool! 
I came across a reference to a cafĂ© in Bank Hey Street, Blackpool, behind the Tower, which was the number one tripe venue for millions of day trippers over the years.  It was no doubt there when I was a lad, but is it still going?

I doubt there are any cafes selling tripe, but maybe a restaurant does, or it can be bought in the market?

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
    • Welcome to Live In Blackpool, I hope you like it..x
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 08:24:34 AM »
Take it you don't really like Blackpool with your tripe comments..are you a serious poster or just out for trouble ??
BRINGING THE BEST REVIEWS AND BLOGS/VLOGS 

ericbee123

• I am not a number.
    • Blackpool & Layton Angling Society
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 04:40:58 PM »
Ron Reddys sells tripe, I believe.

But, forget tripe, go to Choice Butchers on Dickson Road, by Gynn Square ---- Square Sausage with Black Pudding in the middle -- it's the future !!!!

( 3rd picture down !! ).

http://choicemeats.co.uk/sausage.php?page=2
Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 04:56:22 PM »
Try the market on Abingdon Street

Failing that it will be a trip across Lancs in the car to the markets at Blackburn, Accrington or Burnley

http://m.blackpoolcitizen.co.uk/search/9886676.Attempts_to_get_tripe_back_on_East_Lancashire_s_dinner_tables/

JeremyPaxham

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 06:37:14 AM »
Take it you don't really like Blackpool with your tripe comments..are you a serious poster or just out for trouble ??

I am not sure I get your drift.  I holidayed in Blackpool as a youngster and have fond memories of the place.  My parents hardly ever went anywhere else for their holidays.

Try the market on Abingdon Street

Failing that it will be a trip across Lancs in the car to the markets at Blackburn, Accrington or Burnley

http://m.blackpoolcitizen.co.uk/search/9886676.Attempts_to_get_tripe_back_on_East_Lancashire_s_dinner_tables/

Thanks BelleVueShrew. I think there's likely to be a local stockist and maybe I should contact the Tripe Marketing Board mentioned in the article you have found.  Many thanks for that.

Ron Reddys sells tripe, I believe.

But, forget tripe, go to Choice Butchers on Dickson Road, by Gynn Square ---- Square Sausage with Black Pudding in the middle -- it's the future !!!!

( 3rd picture down !! ).

http://choicemeats.co.uk/sausage.php?page=2
Thanks, ericbee123 - I see Ron Reddy's is in Topping Street. 

I know it's a long shot, but restaurants are serving tripe more and more, so if anyone comes across this thread and knows of one in Blackpool let me know!

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 11:15:06 AM »
Excuse Peter, Jeremy, we had a bit of an issue with a past poster who came on here looking for trouble and this obviously isn't that sort of site.

He is just being guarded as he wasn't sure if you were on a wind up. I have to admit it is one of the more unusual requests we have had on here, but I'm all for diversity!!  :thumbup:

Anyway, I have made sure Peter has had his three shredded wheat this morning and there should be no need for his muzzle today  ;)  :biggrin:

Back to the tripe then, is this something I have been missing out on? Is it more a Lancashire thing, like Betty's hotpot (yes, I watched Coronation Street when I was younger)? I can't say I ever recall having had it.

JeremyPaxham

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 12:34:38 PM »
It used to be much more popular than it is today.  That Google reference to the cafe on Bank Hey Street would be an accurate reference - it was in fact a staple part of the Lancashire diet.  I'm from Durham myself but my grandparents ate it regularly and my parents occasionally.  I see that the Tripe Marketing Board are trying to engineer a comeback - personally, I hope they do.  But it's an uphill battle I daresay!

I don't recall going to the Bank Hey Street cafe but I am sure lots of people in Blackpool must do.

You can sometimes get tripe on the menu in Chinese restaurants, and Italians like it a lot.  I see from a Daily Mail article that Gordon Ramsay has promoted it.  I found this rather amusing video while Googling, too:

EDIT
Sorry Jeremy, have removed the link as it doesn't look right - just need to safeguard our membership
it will be put back on if ok after being investigated by our admin team. Thanks

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:45:32 PM by BelleVueShrew »

JeremyPaxham

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 12:46:14 PM »
I am starting to think the Tripe Marketing Board is a bit of a wind up  :confused1:

Their website is a little peculiar (I found the details on the video link I just posted) - probably all a big joke.

Ah, well , I thought it was too good to be true that tripe was making a comeback!

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 12:48:53 PM »
You know, you have got me fascinated, for the sake of my own (fragile) sanity, I am going to have to look into tripe a little more.

I shall ask my mother when I see her tomorrow for starters  :thumbup1:

JeremyPaxham

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 12:51:47 PM »
EDIT
Sorry Jeremy, have removed the link as it doesn't look right - just need to safeguard our membership
it will be put back on if ok after being investigated by our admin team. Thanks

No worries - as I said, I think the whole site is a spoof the more I look at it.  How on earth did they get into East Lancashire papers?

JeremyPaxham

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 12:55:41 PM »
AND the Daily Mirror... http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bid-to-get-classic-dish-tripe-back-1274711

I just read on their website that

• A diet of tripe can increase your libido by up to 400%
    To cure hair loss, simply wrap a sheet of tripe around your head and secure  with a swimming cap
    The first tripe takeaway, Tripe Hut, opened in Manchester in 1979. It closed the following year

It MUST be a wind-up!