Author Topic: Tripe  (Read 10028 times)

BelleVueShrew

Re: Tripe
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 01:40:44 PM »
Are you horsing around Eric?  ;)

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

JeremyPaxham

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2012, 07:59:11 PM »
I have actually had a reply from my query to the Tripe Marketing Board!!!  Not much help though.  An Emily French responded to my e-mail but all she could say was that they did not have any details about suppliers in Blackpool and, even if they did, they were not allowed to recommend them.  Not much of a Marketing Board, then!

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
    • Welcome to Live In Blackpool, I hope you like it..x
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Jeremy I will give you credit Sir..you know your tripe.. :thumbup1:

I never realised that you can get GREEN Tripe.. :tongue_smilie:
BRINGING THE BEST REVIEWS AND BLOGS/VLOGS 

JeremyPaxham

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 08:24:55 PM »
Oh yes - dogs go mad for green (unbleached) tripe and it is reckoned to be the perfect balanced diet for them.  But it stinks to high heaven.  At least dressed tripe doesn't smell like that.

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 01:11:28 AM »
This has got to be the firm favourite for 'Thread of the Year'  :thumbup1:

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 08:17:23 AM »
As will other people of a certain age, I remember fondly Bill Tidy's comic strip in the Daily Mirror - The Fosdykes.  Sir Josiah Fosdyke was a "tripe magnate" and in perpetual struggle with his great rival Ditchley.  The comic strip came out in book form during the 1970s and there was also a radio comedy series.

Tripe in the 1930s was the equivalent of fish and chips in the 1960s in Lancashire.  It was what you bought on the way home from the pub.  It had to be "dressed" - a form of processing about which I have no idea - and was served with vinegar.

As I grew up there was a chain of shops - UCP - who sold tripe.  It went well apparently with pigs' trotters, hence "tripe and trotters".  It looks gruesome and I'm quite relieved to say I've never tried it... :-)

John

Sixties_Kid

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »
My grandad used to love tripe and onions! I would look on in horror as he tucked into plateful of it!

I used to feed green tripe to my dogs, and yes it did stink to high heaven, but the dogs loved and thrived on it. When I first started feeding it I used to gag and couldn't even bring myself to touch it, but I soon got used to it and was able to mix it in with the biscuit using my bare hands. I seem to remember the only way to get rid of the smell on my hands was to wash them in Fairy washing up liquid, and even then it would take at least two washes!  :thumbdown:
Always look for the positive.....

JeremyPaxham

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »
As will other people of a certain age, I remember fondly Bill Tidy's comic strip in the Daily Mirror - The Fosdykes.  Sir Josiah Fosdyke was a "tripe magnate" and in perpetual struggle with his great rival Ditchley.  The comic strip came out in book form during the 1970s and there was also a radio comedy series.

John

I think there is a lot of humour in tripe, John (although southerners often engage in stereotypes of tripe, flat cap and whippets to describe us northerners).  Bill Tidy's cartoons of the tripe magnates were classic!  I get my supply from a supermarket where there are more reasons to shop - they're the only major supplier I know of as my local butcher won't stock it.  Does anyone know if there's a More Reasons shop in Blackpool, and if so, whether they stock tripe?

My grandad used to love tripe and onions! I would look on in horror as he tucked into plateful of it!

Funnily enough, that's where I probably inherited my love of tripe - from my granda!  I've since eaten it in a lovely little trattoria in Rome where it was served in parmesan sauce - delicious!

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »
There is A Morrisons right down the southern end of the resort off Amy Johnson Way, quite near the new illuminations Depot  :thumbup1:

JohnBurke

• John Burke's a-Musings
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2012, 06:31:30 PM »
And one on the A585 road to Fleetwood on the Thornton Cleveleys roundabout.
John

Derek J Ripley

• Forgotten Lancashire
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2012, 08:19:37 PM »
I have just read this thread and I can now realise why there were a couple of references to tripe on my other posting on the advertising section!

I think I had better clarify things here if you don't mind.

I have written a history of Lancashire (and parts of Cheshire and the Wirral) based on an archive of material made available to me from the Blunt family.   Now, I did include a chapter on tripe but I need to make it clear that just because my book is published by the Tripe Marketing Board doesn't mean I was influenced by them.  I see that Mr Paxman thinks that the TMB is a spoof.  Well, I can assure him that this is not the case because I met the Chairman of the TMB at a cocktail party and he assured me they were diversifying into publishing.  When I explained about my book he said it was exactly what they were looking for and agreed to publish it there and then.
My wife was delighted, I can tell you (as was I).

However, Sir Norman Wrassle did not explain that they intended to publish my book as a comedy book.  Can you imagine how it feels when I go to my local pub quizzes and I have to explain that my months of research have been treated in such a cavalier fashion?

They are, frankly, not very good at promoting things.  They were supposed to be in Southport today promoting my book but if you look at their website you will see that all they are doing is promoting tripe.

Please excuse these ramblings. I have had a couple of glasses of wine and am feeling a bit angry.  I have just read the Lancashire Life review of my book and, while it recommends readers to buy two copies, it does so because it says it is very funny. My reputation as a librarian and historian is in question here (although I admit if I sold more books the money would come in handy). 

It's definitely Hobson's Choice.  What do you make of that, Mr Paxman?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:31:28 PM by Derek J Ripley »
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that fiction is often considerably stranger than fact" Ethel Austen (1778-1865)

ericbee123

• I am not a number.
    • Blackpool & Layton Angling Society
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2012, 08:23:58 PM »
Ha ha ha.

How did I guess you would eventually go on about Tripe, that's why I posted the tripe reference on your advertising post.

You are a very funny person. Laughing Out Loud -  honestly I am.

Made my day this  !

:thumbup:
Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.

Derek J Ripley

• Forgotten Lancashire
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2012, 08:39:08 PM »
Well, I'm glad someone is happy.

But try to put yourself in my shoes for a moment.  Respected local librarian becomes laughing stock in his neighbourhood.  Believe it or not, I set out to write a proper history of the Blunt family and their contribution to the development of fridge magnets, and all that happens is I get tainted by tripe.

Perhaps there should be a fridge magnet marketing board!  Messrs William Blunt and Sons fridge magnet manufacturers have a lot to answer for!
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that fiction is often considerably stranger than fact" Ethel Austen (1778-1865)

ericbee123

• I am not a number.
    • Blackpool & Layton Angling Society
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2012, 08:43:34 PM »
From the posts on this Warrington forum (linked below) someone started off going on about Tripe.

Then you advertised your book and the tripe debate started again.

http://forum.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/index.php?/topic/8840-forgotten-lancashire-and-parts-of-cheshire-and-the-wirral/

Sound familiar ?

Hats off to you. Great viral marketing. I very nearly bought your book. I will however now look out for it in shops, if is in shops and have a browse before buying.

Does sound funny.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:45:11 PM by ericbee123 »
Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.

Derek J Ripley

• Forgotten Lancashire
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2012, 08:52:28 PM »
Thank you, Eric - and hat's off to you for spotting some blatant marketing by the TMB.  Do have a look at the book, though, as I think it might be right up your street (you can read a sample on Amazon and make your own mind up).  After all, as that great authoress Ethel Austen once said:  "It is a truth universally acknowledged that fiction is often considerably stranger than fact."

Meanwhile... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2192356/Its-offal-ly-tasty-promise-Bid-traditional-tripe-dish-fashion.html#comments Surely the Daily Mail can't be wrong?