Author Topic: Don't Forget Lancashire!  (Read 2188 times)

Derek J Ripley

• Forgotten Lancashire
Don't Forget Lancashire!
« on: September 19, 2012, 08:21:48 AM »
I wonder if I may introduce your members to my new book Forgotten Lancashire and Parts of Cheshire and the Wirral?

It has been picking up good reviews (although for some reason it has been categorised as a comedy book, rather than a history book!) and is available here on Amazon as well as from local bookshops.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0957314108/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Forum members may also enjoy a couple of promotional videos for the book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAUEBMUSMNQ&feature=plcp

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L1kJ1XSF88&feature=plcp

Best Wishes

Dr Derek J Ripley

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:27:16 AM by Derek J Ripley »
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that fiction is often considerably stranger than fact" Ethel Austen (1778-1865)

BelleVueShrew

Re: Don't Forget Lancashire!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 02:08:41 PM »
Welcome to Live In Blackpool, Derek   :thumbup1:

Can you tell us a little more about your book and what would endear it to members of this forum with reference to Blackpool in particular please?

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

ericbee123

• I am not a number.
    • Blackpool & Layton Angling Society
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 03:53:28 PM »
Paying particular attention to any Lancashire Tripe references.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.

Derek J Ripley

• Forgotten Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 06:15:35 PM »
Well, it's a bit of a labour of love, BelleVue.  Last year I found a lot of documents relating to the Blunt family after a friend's step-aunt died and I was able to use them to prepare the book.

Funnily enough, I've got a chapter on tripe in the book, Eric - a great Lancashire delicacy!  Did you know that the tripe jump was a popular part of the Lancashire Games?  In the 1952 Games held at Blackpool, Arnold Wrigley won the tripe jump with a record distance, and his brother Bill won gold in the three-legged race.  It's not something I've eaten and in fact you'd struggle to find it nowadays. 

Forgotten Lancashire has just been reviewed in the October edition of  Lancashire Life magazine.  When I last looked, Blackpool was firmly part of Lancashire  and there were no plans to move it (unlike places like Saddleworth which have had to move a few times), so it's conceivable some of your members may enjoy the book.

TMB Books are promoting it as a new kind of history book - 'Fact Free History'.  I like to think it's a way of making history more accessible to the average man or woman in the field.

I am hoping to cover Blackpool in a lot more detail in Vol 2, once I have worked my way through more of the carrier bags of old documents.  I used to live at Garstang, and Blackpool was always a favourite day out for myself and my first wife.
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that fiction is often considerably stranger than fact" Ethel Austen (1778-1865)

BelleVueShrew

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 06:34:12 PM »
Thanks Derek  :thumbup1:

Good luck with it and indeed volume 2

Proud Salopian (With a part of the heart in Blackpool)

Derek J Ripley

• Forgotten Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »
Thank you for your hospitality while I tout my book around.  This publishing malarky is all very well, but I am a librarian at the end of the day, not a publicist!  Frankly, I am having my doubts that TMB Books are up to the job of promoting my book, hence me coming on this site.  I only went with them because I met their Chairman at a cocktail party in Preston earlier this year.  If anyone else is considering using them to publish a book, my advice is not to!

Derek J Ripley

• Forgotten Lancashire
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 08:43:54 PM »
My lawyers have advised me to modify my last posting.  What I should have said was:

"If anyone else is considering using the Tripe Marketing Board to publish a book, my advice is that other publishers are available."

In the meantime, I hope that no one thinks I am dissuading them from purchasing my book.  Far from it.  There is more about the book at www.forgottenlancashire.co.uk

Derek J Ripley

• Forgotten Lancashire
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 06:32:52 AM »
I was able to pay a visit to Blackpool yesterday and, braving the usual lashing gales, popped in to Waterstones.  Needless to say, my book Forgotten Lancashire was not on sale there - as I explained earlier, my publishers are particularly inept and I have to rely on my own energies to publicise this book.  Anyway, they are considering whether to stock it and hopefully they'll give it the thumbs up.

I was able to show them the review in Lancashire Life which, though a bit embarassing because it suggests my book is funny, nevertheless does seem to open doors.  It also suggests the book would make a good Christmas present!
For anyone who missed it, here is the review: http://lancashire.greatbritishlife.co.uk/article/forgotten-lancashire--restoring-the-fortunes-of-the-tripe-industry-44095/

For any of your readers in the Preston area, I am pleased to inform you that both Waterstones and WH Smith currently have the book in stock.  It is also available via www.forgottenlancashire.co.uk.

Derek J Ripley

• Forgotten Lancashire
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 06:49:19 AM »
Just to let you know that Forgotten Lancashire is now available for Kindle, here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forgotten-Lancashire-Cheshire-Wirral-ebook/dp/B009TTQMFA/ref=tmm_kin_title_0

Ideal for people who don't like books!

Best Wishes

Derek