Author Topic: Pleasure Beach 6/6/10  (Read 1051 times)

footprints

• Show Manager
  • Forum Supporter
Pleasure Beach 6/6/10
« on: June 06, 2010, 08:59:49 PM »
Well, today after just a short visit for a few hours in 2009, for the first time in over 18 months I spent the full day at Pleasure Beach!

Who Went
With Rebecca in dance comps this weekend and next it was me and Mark who visited today, we also met up with Brian (Magic Trickster) for an hour or two at FY4.

Ride Count
Big One x2
Infusion x1
Steeplechase x1
Valhalla x1
Pleasure Beach Express x1
Rollercoaster x2
Grand National x4
Flying Machines x6
Derby Racer x2
Dodgems x1
Revolution x1
Dodgems x1
Ghost Train x1

Review

The day got off to a bad start when turning off the A583 onto Yeadon Way an Astra crashed into the back of my Corsa as I was waiting at the roundabout! Fortunately I didn't have the handbrake on so the car just got shunted forwards meaning the damage seems to be only superficial - I couldn't believe it, however, when I exchanged details with the woman driver and she told me she was Miss Amanda Thompson!!! :o I asked if she knew she shared her name with the Pleasure Beach MD! :D

One new thing this year is you can now reserve a parking space in the Balmoral Road car park as you book wristbands online - for just a fiver it's a discount on the gate price and I was impressed as soon as I pulled into the car park, the guy on the gate said "Good morning Mr Johnson" and ushered me through (you have to give your car reg details as you book).

The changes round the park impressed me. Much of what I was considering "new" today probably isn't that new anymore but lots of the new touches did impress me and in particular I'm really liking FY4 - it's a nice place to relax and spend time and enjoy the fountain. The changes in the ghost train are also excellent. The sculpture garden does look better seeing it in the flesh than on pictures - not amazing but good all the same, I was more impressed than I thought I'd be. The new dodgems were good fun (and looked great) to and the ticket centre is a massive improvement on the chaos that purchasing wristbands used to involve before.

Going round and appreciating all these changes then, it was a shame to see a Sunday in a half term holiday attract so few people into the park. We had the Pleasure Beach Express to ourselves and returned to a completely empty station. The Big One was on one train all day and was walk-on both times we rode it. Every ride except Grand National seemed the same. The fountain shows took place in front of an almost deserted FY4 with the only person watching seeming to be the security man there to prevent people running through. It's sad to see the park like that at a time of year when it should be so much busier. We noticed many of the eating establishments closing long before the rides stopped at 6pm.

Overall though I really enjoyed the day. The shows have always been a big part of what made Pleasure Beach a fun and special place to visit for me. hence why after 15 or so days a year spent on the park in 2005-2008 (with many more nights visiting just to see a show) I'd managed just 4 hours on park since the shows were pulled. I'd not really wanted to return since, feeling that I'd spend all day missing them rather than enjoying the rides. Today however it felt great to be back and although me, Brian and Mark all agreed the day's not quite the same with no shows to enjoy, I wanted to come and just enjoy the park for what it still has and I did that.

No pics I'm afraid. Thanks for reading  :)

Alex

Re: Pleasure Beach 6/6/10
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 09:01:29 PM »
great report aplause given
looks like you were pleased with the changes..

Britcitchris

• Media Manager And Unofficial Duke Of Norfolk
  • Valued Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 09:31:11 PM »
A brilliant and well written report, Mr Footprints. Glad you enjoyed your day. I'm still baffled why sunday's remain so quiet......

Chris.

admin

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 10:45:30 PM »
A brilliant report Steve, photographs are not necessary in your reports as you describe things so well.. 8)

Shame about your car accident.. >:( I wont make any women drivers comments as Louise will have my guts for garters.. ;D

Applause given.. 8)

BlueCobra

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:36:07 AM »
Excellent report there, thanks for sharing!  ;)