Author Topic: Mama Mia at the Blackpool Winter Garden's & Opera House  (Read 3144 times)

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
    • Welcome to Live In Blackpool, I hope you like it..x
Mama Mia at the Blackpool Winter Garden's & Opera House
« on: July 03, 2014, 01:24:32 PM »
   MAMA MIA

Back in 1974 a group from Sweden ABBA performed a song named Waterloo in Brighton England, it was the Eurovision Song Contest and it won..!

I was only a very young lad when they did it, but who would of thought that 40 Years later I would be sat 4 rows from the front in the incredible surroundings of the Blackpool Winter Garden's and Opera House watching Mama Mia..!

You can buy Mama Mia merchandise if you like.. :thumbup1:

So we take our seats inside this superb theatre.. :thumbup1:

The Plot..
On a Greek island called Kalokairi, 20-year-old bride-to-be Sophie Sheridan posts three wedding invitations ("I Have a Dream") to different men.
Sophie's bridesmaids and best friends, Ali and Lisa, arrive before the wedding. Sophie reveals that she found her mother's diary and learned she has three possible fathers: New York-based Irish architect Sam Carmichael, Swedish adventurer and writer Bill Anderson, and British banker Harry Bright. She invited them without telling her mother, believing that after she spends time with them she will know who her father is ("Honey, Honey"). Villa owner Donna Sheridan is ecstatic to reunite with her former Dynamos bandmates, wisecracking author Rosie and wealthy multiple divorcée Tanya, and reveals her bafflement at her daughter's desire to get married. Donna shows off the villa and explains her precarious finances to Rosie and Tanya ("Money, Money, Money"). The three men arrive, and Sophie smuggles them to their room and explains that she, not her mother, sent the invitations. She begs them to hide so Donna will have a surprise at the wedding: seeing the old friends of whom she "so often" favourably speaks. They overhear Donna working (humming "Fernando") and swear to Sophie they will not reveal her secret.
Donna spies them and is dumbfounded to find herself facing former lovers she could never forget ("Mamma Mia"), and is adamant that they leave. She confides in Tanya and Rosie ("Chiquitita") a secret she has kept from everyone — she is uncertain which of the men is Sophie's father. Tanya and Rosie rally her spirits by getting Donna to dance with the female staff and islanders ("Dancing Queen"). Sophie finds the men aboard Bill's yacht, and they sail around Kalokairi ("Our Last Summer") and tell stories of Donna as a carefree girl. Sophie musters up the courage to speak with her fiancée Sky about her ploy, but loses her nerve. Sky and Sophie sing to each other ("Lay All Your Love on Me"), but are interrupted when Sky is snatched for his bachelor party.
At Sophie's hen party, Donna, Tanya and Rosie perform as Donna and The Dynamos ("Super Trouper"). Sophie is delighted to see her mother rock out, but becomes nervous when the festivities are interrupted by the arrival of Sam, Bill and Harry. She decides to talk with each of her prospective dads alone. While her girlfriends dance with the men ("Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)"), Sophie learns from Bill that Donna received the money to invest in her villa from his great aunt Sofia. Sophie guesses she must be Sofia's namesake and Bill is her father. She asks him to give her away and to keep their secret from Donna until the wedding. Sophie's happiness is short-lived as Sam and Harry each tell her they must be her dad and will give her away ("Voulez-Vous"). Sophie cannot tell them the truth and, overwhelmed by the consequences of her actions, faints.
In the morning, Rosie and Tanya reassure Donna they will take care of the men. On Bill's boat, Bill and Harry are about to confide in each other, but are interrupted by Rosie. Donna confronts Sophie, believing Sophie wants the wedding stopped. Sophie says that all she wants is to avoid her mother's mistakes. Donna is accosted by Sam, concerned about Sophie getting married so young. Donna confronts him and both realize they still have feelings for each other ("SOS"). Down on the beach, Tanya and young Pepper continue their flirtations from the previous night ("Does Your Mother Know"). Sophie confesses to Sky and asks for his help. He reacts angrily to his fiancée's deception and Sophie turns to her mother for support. As Donna helps her daughter dress for the wedding, their rift is healed and Donna reminisces about Sophie's childhood and how quickly she has grown ("Slipping Through My Fingers"). Sophie asks Donna to give her away. As the bridal party walks to the chapel, Sam intercepts Donna, begging her to talk. She reveals the pain she felt over losing him ("The Winner Takes It All").
Sophie and Donna walk down the aisle as the band plays "Knowing Me, Knowing You". Donna tells Sophie that her father could be any of the three men, whom Sophie admits to inviting. Sam reveals that while he left to get married, he did not go through with it, and returned to find Donna with another man. Harry confesses that Donna was the first and last woman he loved, and reveals he has begun a relationship with a waiter from the taverna. The three men agree that they would be happy to be one-third of a father for Sophie. She tells Sky they should postpone their wedding and travel the world as they have wanted. Seeing that there is a chance a wedding can still be done and not wanting any of the wedding preparations to go to waste, Sam proposes to Donna ("I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do"). She accepts and they are married. At the reception, Sam sings to Donna ("When All Is Said and Done"), which prompts Rosie to make a play for Bill ("Take a Chance on Me"). All the couples present proclaim their love ("Mamma Mia" reprise). Sophie and Sky bid farewell to Kalokairi and sail away ("I Have a Dream" reprise).
During the principal credits, Donna, Tanya and Rosie reprise "Dancing Queen", followed by "Waterloo" with the rest of the cast. Amanda Seyfried sings "Thank You for the Music" over the end credits, followed by an instrumental of "Does Your Mother Know".

Having seen the film many times starring...
Meryl Streep
Pierce Brosnan
Colin Firth
Stellan Skarsgård
Julie Walters
Dominic Cooper
Amanda Seyfried
Christine Baranski

I was somewhat curious how it would or could be recreated on stage, but I was lost for words when the curtain was raised last Sunday evening..
I am not ashamed to say but I was feeling quite emotional at the way the the superb cast performed and sang the Abba songs, with so much  feeling and emotion..

The Cast

Sara Poyzer has played Donna in both the West End production and the MAMMA MIA! International Tour. Her West End roles include Janet in Rutherford & Son, Emilia in Othello and Mam in Billy Elliot.

Geraldine Fitzgerald rejoins the MAMMA MIA! International Tour as Tanya. She recently played Tessie Tura in Gypsy and Maggie Jones in 42nd Street, both at the Curve Theatre in Leicester.

Sue Devaney recently played the roles of Dot and Mrs Lord in Housewife 49 at the Old Laundry Theatre, Janice Spendlover in Fetish Knights at the Lowry Theatre Salford, and Petula Gordino in the Dinnerladies UK Tour. On television, she played the Secretary and Jane in Dinnerladies, was Liz Harker for four years in Casualty and Rita for three years in Jonny Briggs.

Richard Standing reprises the role of Sam Carmichael in the MAMMA MIA! International Tour, and recently appeared in the UK tour and West End production of Rutherford & Son, and the UK tour of Othello.

Michael Beckley is reprising the role of Bill Austin in the MAMMA MIA! International Tour, and played the role of Robert in Blue/Orange at the Theatre Royal York and Randall P Murphy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest at Leicester’s Curve Theatre.

Keiron Crook recently played Captain Von Trapp in the UK tour of The Sound of Music and appeared in Love Story at the Minerva Theatre, Chichester and Marguerite by Alain Boublil and Claude Michel- Schonberg at London’s Theatre Royal Haymarket.

Victoria Serra recently starred as Kate McGowan in the critically acclaimed production of Titanic at the Southwark Playhouse, and Wendla in Spring Awakening both at the Broadway Theatre and in the original UK tour.

Bart Edwards previously appeared as Olly Greenwood in BBC’s EastEnders and in Leaving for ITV. He recently appeared in Constance at the Kings Head Theatre and in the new musical Next Thing You Know at the Landor Theatre.

Sally Frith recently graduated and makes her professional debut in the MAMMA MIA! International Tour.

Jasmin Colango recently played Silabub in the European Tour of Cats, the title role in Cinderella at the Hackney Empire, and Young Eponine in Les Misérables.

Kade Ferraiolo played Spider in the UK tour of Oliver!, and also appeared in The Mikado for the ENO at the Coliseum and We Will Rock You at the Dominion Theatre.

Ashley Luke Lloyd played the role of Michael in the original cast of Billy Elliot, and more recently Francis in Loserville at the West Yorkshire Playhouse and in London’s West End.

Photography is strictly prohibited inside the theatre, but I have been able to find some promotional images.. :thumbup1:

Mama Mia the feel good musical that is here in Blackpool until the 20th of September 2014..

I have awarded it a Live In Blackpool 11 out of 10..! because I can and because I loved it..!!

Stunning performance by the cast, excellent musical support from a full orchestra, amazing location and on the biggest stage in Europe the Blackpool Opera House..!!

An absolute must, I cant wait to see it again..!

Dancing in aisles is NOT mandatory, but your legs do control you during the performance of Mama Mia, and you just do it anyway..!!  :tongue_smilie:

Abba is alive and in Blackpool.. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Thank you

Peter

Copyright Peter Mowbray Live In Blackpool & Blackpool Winter Gardens & Opera House   

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:41:52 PM by PETER MOWBRAY »
BRINGING THE BEST REVIEWS AND BLOGS/VLOGS 

dav43

• Valued Poster
Re: Mama Mia at the Blackpool Winter Garden's & Opera House
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:54:01 AM »
what a great write up pete,i can tell you are a big fan :thumbup: its nice to see some quality shows coming to blackpool,

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 08:42:17 AM »
what a great write up pete,i can tell you are a big fan :thumbup: its nice to see some quality shows coming to blackpool,

Thank you Sir, The Winter Gardens & Opera House Blackpool is really resuscitating Blackpool..
I have said it a few times on various web sites, but Blackpool really is back..!

DAVROS

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 08:45:40 AM »
I love your reports Pete, you write in a style that makes us want to read it  :thumbup1:

To be honest and I was only saying this to my better half last night, we live miles from Blackpool and don't really like Abba, but after reading your report, we have booked for next week !
We trust your judgement  :tongue_smilie:
In Campervans I trust

The Meat

• Hi I am New..
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 08:48:45 AM »
Another superb report from Mr Blackpool  :thumbup:

Since I read this the other week, all 6 of us have been 4 times !

Its something that I would not normally do, but after reading your passionate and enthusiastic report, we just had to go  :thumbup1:

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 08:51:59 AM »
((((((( Blushes )))))))  :blush: :blush:

Thank you  :thumbup1:

I always try and portray in an honest way what I see, Blackpool really is an exciting place to be at the moment, there is always lots to see and do, and the shows are just superb..!

kevinashe

• Valued Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 09:49:29 PM »
Ashley Russell is also in the cast,she is a local girl from Grangemouth and came through the same dance school chloe goes to.She was also in one of the bbc reality singing shows