Author Topic: Live artists perform at the top of Blackpool Tower..!  (Read 2079 times)

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
    • Welcome to Live In Blackpool, I hope you like it..x
Live artists perform at the top of Blackpool Tower..!
« on: August 10, 2014, 12:19:06 AM »
Quite amazing when you think about it, how do you get 6 groups, all their equipment and fans to play 518ft in the air on a glass floor..?

Well it has just happened, yes it was very disorganised, and the amount of time that some people that had paid money to watch the groups perform  did not go unnoticed,I arrived at Blackpool Tower at the arranged time on my ticket 7pm, I was told to return at 7.30 and I might be in the 2nd allocation starting at 10pm..Confused..? yes I was... :rolleyes:

So it was now a 2 tier event..?

So when we got into the Tower we had to go to a desk to receive an orange wrist band, that meant that at 10pm we had to leave so that the 2nd allocation could watch the bands perform, so the event had changed after people had paid their money, not very professional... :cursing:

So the first band started to perform at 20.15 and at 10pm our evening was over..I could feel the embarrassment from various members of staff when I asked them if this was fair..

I always try and support everything Blackpool, but sadly this was farcical..

Anyway the acts I did see stole the show..!

First to perform was Jekyll... :tongue_smilie: :tongue_smilie: :tongue_smilie:

They only played 3 songs because the 'main' artist wanted more time on stage.. :rolleyes:

But they were awesome and should of been allowed to perform longer..!

Lots of people... :thumbup1:

The space was very limited, but it sounded amazing..!

Next up Dysphonia... :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

I really like these guys, they are total Punk..! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

They are NOT a cover band..!!!  :tongue_smilie: :tongue_smilie: :tongue_smilie:

Next up Cracousrocknroll...

I liked this group, I am aware of them being around locally for quite a long time..

The lead singer had a very odd Morth suit that was sort of cool.. :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Until he bent over and tore his suit, exposing his testicle.. :w00t: :w00t:

Obviously I wouldn't publish that..!  :blushing: :blushing:

I didn't have time to photograph the Star and main artist perform as I had to be off the Tower by 10pm because my orange wristband expired at that time..whoops.. :w00t:

Best picture of the night.. :wub: :wub:

Picture from underneath the glass floor of the Tower..

It was a very good event, I think that the desire to profit and make it a double event to the obvious detriment to those that had paid to watch a show that was stated on the tickets was misleading..

I left with mixed feelings if I am being totally honest, yes the groups that I did see were amazing, the experience of being at the top of the Tower watching live music was awesome..

But....

Copyright Peter Mowbray Live In Blackpool
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:55:47 PM by PETER MOWBRAY »
BRINGING THE BEST REVIEWS AND BLOGS/VLOGS 

Britcitchris

• Media Manager And Unofficial Duke Of Norfolk
  • Valued Poster
Re: Live artists perform at the top of Blackpool Tower..!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »
What a unique event! Would have loved to witnessed this. Terrific photos.
A real shame about the organization of the event :ohmy:

Chris.

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 02:38:09 PM »
What a unique event! Would have loved to witnessed this. Terrific photos.
A real shame about the organization of the event :ohmy:

Chris.

It was an amazing experience Chris, the organisation of it was a tragedy to be honest..

When we arrived the names had been written on bits of A4 paper with 1 or 2 denoting which set you had been allocated..

I asked the staff on door what was going on, they didn't really have a clue either..

I am getting a bit of stick and being called biased towards other bands..

I explained that I had to leave at 10pm as that was the amended conditions of the concert, so I didn't get chance  to photograph any other group..

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 08:39:11 PM »
Blackpool Tower had nothing to do with the organisation of the Concert..

I am a fair person and my intentions was never to cause offence, I am fully aware of the hard work that a lot of people had performed to make the above concert happen..

Lots of people did give up their free time to try and create a completely one off gig..

I am always supportive of local Blackpool talent, I was also supportive of this gig, I wished that I could of stayed to the end to photograph the rest of the groups perform as this was my intention..

The poor communication by people on the door by not fully explaining to me, the reasons why more tickets had been sold than the venue could safely handle, led me to believe that this was a deliberate act to make more money and I used the words profit..

This was clearly NOT the case and I wish to offer an apology..

I did leave the gig thinking that this was the case when I left just before 10pm..

Over the last few days I have received lots of emails explaining what had happened and the reasons behind the ticketing situation..
I cant excuse the personal abuse by some and I will be dealing with that in my own time..

I have been discussing the review that I did with somebody that did actually organize the gig..

He has asked me not publish his name, and I respect his wishes..

2 sides to every story and yes I want them to be told..

Hi Peter,
Thanks for taking time to speak to me earlier and passing on your email address.
I would prefer it if you didn't publish anything in my name as it is separate to ~~~ and I wouldn't want it to affect my work.
I am just pleased that I could explain a bit of what happened from my perspective. A lot of mistakes were made, and that is definitely regrettable as it affected your experience, however it was the first ever proper gig up there, with hopefully many more to follow now we know exactly what to expect.
The whole night was intended to bring a unique event to the town, the prices were set very reasonably, cheaper than paying to go up the tower normally, and no bands made any money from the event.
Any changes made to original plans were all done with the best possible experience for paying customers in mind, it was just not handled as well as it should have been. Having said that, the efforts at the last minute from the bands and the Tower staff to make sure an event happened at all was amazing to see.
The local bands were told that they would be playing short sets, even before the gigs were split in two, like you I think Jekyll deserve to be, and will be massive, but at this stage it will have done them no harm at all to be part of a gig like this.
As we discussed, at 10.30pm when The Membranes finished their first set everyone was cleared to make way for the next audience, but all were told in the lift down that if they waited in the bar, we would assess the numbers at the top with a view to letting people back up. Many people took advantage of this, and actually had the bonus of attending 2 gigs. I realise that this was communicated too late for you to benefit, and I can only apologise for this, but hope you understand that it was all very last minute and the health and safety of those attending was the main factor in all decisions made.
So, a lot of mistakes, plenty to learn from, and a disappointing feeling of letting people down, but a lot of positives for the Blackpool music scene. I understand your anger, and that's why I wanted to try and explain even though I was just a go between really.
Hopefully we can continue to support each other supporting Blackpool and the vibrant music scene that we have, we really appreciate the kind words you have written before about ~~~~~ and our work with local bands.
Thanks again,

~~~~~~

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:45:24 PM by PETER MOWBRAY »

Britcitchris

• Media Manager And Unofficial Duke Of Norfolk
  • Valued Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 10:28:53 PM »
That was a great email and very insightful. It certainly seems like it was inexperience and not profit making. The next one will better, i'm sure.

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 08:55:22 PM »
That was a great email and very insightful. It certainly seems like it was inexperience and not profit making. The next one will better, i'm sure.

I hope so, I think that my comments upset a few people, it was never my intention..