Author Topic: Blackpool Visit - Summer Hols 2014  (Read 1070 times)

Britcitchris

• Media Manager And Unofficial Duke Of Norfolk
  • Valued Poster
Blackpool Visit - Summer Hols 2014
« on: September 26, 2014, 12:00:29 PM »
Our final stop on our road trip was my favourite place, Blackpool. Living so far away (a 4 to 5 hour journey,) our visits are few and far between.  Although the mrs and I visited lasted January (2013,) it's been four years since we last visited the mighty Pleasure Beach.

We stayed in Blackpool for two and half days and managed quite a lot. On the first day we visited the Sandcastle Water Park. It's pretty expensive and had massive queues for the slides.  We did have fun though and I have to admit that I found some of the slides pretty terrifying  :scared:  No photos here, I'm afraid.

Our second full day was spent at the Pleasure Beach. It was busy but not too busy, with queues averaging around 20 minutes. The Big One had the biggest queues but even that was less than 45 minutes (a 1 train service.) 
It was great to ride some of my favourites again and Ben is now tall enough for most of the rides. He really enjoyed the Nick Streak but Grand National was too much for him. The air time frightened him  :ohmy:
Our visit was in two parts; opening til about 1 pm and then we returned tea time for the last couple of hours. By this time the rides were walk on  and I really enjoyed a twilight experience on the front row of Infusion :wub:

The next morning we went up the Tower, visited the Sealife Center and whilst I had a coffee and a sit down on Central Pier, the rest of the gang took in Madam Tussards. Mid afternoon, we headed home.

We had a great visit to Blackpool but I do have a couple of grumbles. The operation of several rides at the Pleasure Beach seemed very inefficient, compared to the Merlin parks that we frequent.  Loading/unloading and despatching were often very slow and this almost casual attitude to busy queues, was very disappointing.  They really need to look at Merlin Parks such as Chessington, Legoland and Thorpe, on how to manage the ride operations better.

We also had a bad experience at Pleasure Beach's Pizza Hut, who seemed terribly understaffed and what should have been a quick lunch ended up taking almost two hours  :scared:  We won't be eating there again.

Photos:
Walking to the Pleasure Beach. The weather was pretty grey and often showery.

The illuminations were being tested, even at 10 am!

Pleasure Beach!

Ben on one of Nick Land's rides. This was our first visit to Nick Land and we really enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed the Wallace and Gromit ride. It was superb  :thumbup1:

The Nick Streak was loads of fun.

Fun up the tower.

Sea Life.

Taken from Central Pier.

Grumbles aside, the visit on the whole was a decent one and I look forward to whenever our next visit will be. 

Chris.

keno

• Valued Poster
Re: Blackpool Visit - Summer Hols 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 11:01:15 PM »
No better place Chris  :thumbup1:

Vegas of the North  :biggrin:
C.A.F.C

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
    • Welcome to Live In Blackpool, I hope you like it..x
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 11:59:16 PM »
Chris what a brilliant report, no matter how many miles away you live, people can clearly see your passion for Blackpool... :thumbup1:

Well done Sir, and brilliant photographs.. :thumbup1:
BRINGING THE BEST REVIEWS AND BLOGS/VLOGS 

keno

• Valued Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 05:47:50 PM »
I will be in Blackpool this Friday, Saturday and Sunday  :wub:
C.A.F.C

kevinashe

• Valued Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 07:42:34 PM »
you certainly packed a lot in,your shot of the illuminations shows how some of the older displays are starting to show their age with corrosion thus the town is needing to invest heavily on some new road features

Britcitchris

• Media Manager And Unofficial Duke Of Norfolk
  • Valued Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 08:52:24 PM »
you certainly packed a lot in,your shot of the illuminations shows how some of the older displays are starting to show their age with corrosion thus the town is needing to invest heavily on some new road features

Without a Merlin pass, we would have managed less but those passes are just magic.  I think it's just a matter of time before Merlin make a move on the pleasure beach, although I can't imagine it being successful.