Author Topic: Lytham Windmill to Whitby ( coast to coast and back ) Charity event 5/4/15  (Read 4554 times)

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
    • Welcome to Live In Blackpool, I hope you like it..x
This event was created around 6 months ago by Simon Carter of North West Honda to raise much needed funds for Tuberous Sclerosis..
I hope Simon does not mind me quoting his Facebook comments, but I feel that it explains very well why we all went across the country ( 360 miles ) and back in a day on very testing roads..

Wow! what a day!

203 bikes at the start, 300+ in total throughout the day

Thank you to everyone that took part, the roads and the clouds did not look too great this morning - Thank you for coming along. As it happened It turned into the best riding weather of the year.

Thank you so much for everyone who donated to a charity I'm sure, up until recently you never knew existed (I only found out as my friend Brian Scott's son (the young man in the wheelchair at the windmill) sadly has this condition.

Thank you to all the NWUK admin team that helped make this day possible. We all worked equally hard in doing different areas to make the ride work as well as it possibly could given the volume of the riders and miles involved

Thank you Emma Damian-Grint (the lady from the charity) for working your day off and taking lots of photos and videos (they will be posted soon)

And finally, I would like to make an apology with regard to the support van

There were 4 catastrophic motorcycle breakdowns today, one flat tyre and one trike that luckily was roadside repairable by the owner

The support van could only hold the first two broken down bikes, broken down bike number 2 was added to the first one at Hawes The remainder of the spare fuel should have been transferred to the support/camera car as per my instruction to the driver (who also worked voluntarily) however as I was riding some amazing new roads, I missed the call that the van was full and was turning for home so I failed you on getting the emergency fuel moved forward throughout the remainder of the ride-out

If you would like to join our Facebook biker group for many more amazing rides like today (great roads, but shorter, most days - including weekdays during the good weather months) please search on Facebook for "North West UK Motorcycles and Bikers"

If you really enjoyed today and either forgot to donate or would kindly like to donate just that little bit more please go to
justgiving.com/simonsmotorcylerid

After not riding a motorcycle for 20 years after an accident with a bus, I had the desire to ride again last Summer..
I was actually in the Honda showroom buying a car with my Wife and that's when I first met Simon..

As I was talking to Simon they wheeled past a Honda CBR125F.. :wub: So I decided to buy one of them as well..
I only wanted a smallish bike to get around on and have a bit of fun.. :w00t:

I read on Facebook 6 months ago that Simon was organising  a Coast to Coast trip to Whitby for Charity..

I really wanted to do this, but I have a problem, I am terrified of heights, country roads with steep hills and riding in the dark.. :w00t:

Also the furthest that I have ever been on my bike was to Bonds Ice Cream for a 99 and a chocolate flake..( 10 miles )  :tongue_smilie:

So to drive 360 miles on hard roads was going to be very testing..

The biking community really do take care of other bikers as my report will detail..

So we start at leafy Lytham at 8.30am, we are due to start at 9.30am prompt, but we needed to be briefed about the route etc..

The Honda support vehicle..

Simon..

This Man drove all the way from the midlands to ride in this event, during the ride a few groups split into smaller groups, we found him at the side of the road around 30 miles outside Whitby..we stopped to help him, but it meant we would be arriving late into Whitby..but that doesn't matter  as bikers help each other out if they are in trouble..Golden Rule Number One..

His bike was terminal with engine failure, and the Honda support vehicle was full of bikes and had to head back, so we had no choice but to chain it to a post and pillion him into Whitby..

Gordon Rice filmed us arriving, he was in front of me with the lad saved on the back of another bike, complete with Minion suit on.. :thumbup1:

Back to the start at Leafy Lytham.. :tongue_smilie:

Craig  :thumbup1:

Before the start we had a briefing session..

First stop to meet up with more bikers..

And a short time later we did the same again.. :w00t:

As you can imagine its not easy taking pictures on a bike, so I didn't do it, so all you will see is the stops..

We made it to Hawes which is around halfway to collect even more bikers..I lost count to how many bikers we had doing it, but it was quite a sight.. :thumbup1:

Christine kept up a steady pace behind me for around 30 miles I think..We caught up in Thirsk.. :thumbup1:

Obviously fuel on a Bank Holiday Sunday was potentially going to be a problem, but as soon as we spotted a fuel station that was open, we had a splash and dash..my lowest amount was £3.02... :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I was starting to feel tired at this point, I am sure that everyone felt the same..
But as we cleared the hills I got a glimpse of what I thought was the blue sky, it was in fact the North Sea..I honestly thought that I was seeing things, it was the most amazing sight..

WE MADE IT TO WHITBY...!!!!  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Brian and Rebecca.. :thumbup1:

She made it.. :tongue:

Whitby Harbour.. :wub:

We arrived at just gone 5pm due to helping with the breakdown, but we couldn't stay long as we had to plan to get as much riding done in the light as its safer..

We didn't get chance to eat, and 8 of us decided to make a plan of action to get back safely..Brian, Rebecca, 2 lads from Wigan and 3 from Fleetwood set off..

We decided to go for the Trans Pennine route back ( A59), but we really needed to get as much of it cleared whilst it was still light as that road can become treacherous in the dark...

We did incredibly well in making it to Ripon in good time, but it was starting to go dark quite quickly and coupled with that, the dense fog had started to close in..

With visibility down to around 20 feet it made for very challenging riding conditions,some of the steep hills in the dark and fog, no words could describe how I was feeling..we stopped a few times for a chat and to remind each other that we just need to take it easy and get back safely.. :thumbup1:

I spotted a sign in the distance and put my high beams on to try and read it in the thick fog..it said Preston 30 miles, my heart sank..

All we could do was just carry on at a steady pace and stay safe..

We finally made it to Preston and the other lads went in other directions, whilst Rebecca, Brian and I headed towards Lytham and Freckleton..we waved off Rebecca as she headed back to her home, just leaving Brian and I to arrive back at Lytham Windmill at 945pm..

A huge congratulations and thank you to  all those that did the run, you should be very proud today.. :thumbup1:

Copyright Peter Mowbray Live In Blackpool Ltd

North West Honda
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:21:29 PM by PETER MOWBRAY »
BRINGING THE BEST REVIEWS AND BLOGS/VLOGS 

dav43

• Valued Poster
A brilliant report pete and for such a worthy cause,i myself used to have a cz125 back in the day,my mom didnt want me to have one but was soon sending me down the shops once i had it  :lol: now my son is looking to get one to get to work instead of relying on public transport and lifts,as long as your safe theres nothing like it  :thumbup:

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
Biking is great fun..I am only a hobby rider.. :tongue_smilie:

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
Simon had this lovely card passed to him by Hannah Blastland.. :thumbup1:

Thank you Hannah, what a thoughtful thing.. :thumbup1:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:40:58 PM by PETER MOWBRAY »

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
A superb video from the day has been released...

You can see me riding my Honda CBR from 5.36 to the left of the camera for around 40 secs.. :w00t:
https://youtu.be/IGtfGiH0vV8

keno

• Valued Poster
Well done to each and every one of you !!!  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I must admit, when i was scrolling down through the write up i thought it was going to come to a point were you said you abandoned getting home that night and jumped in to a b&b for the evening.
So fair play for getting home that very same night..
C.A.F.C

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
Well done to each and every one of you !!!  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I must admit, when i was scrolling down through the write up i thought it was going to come to a point were you said you abandoned getting home that night and jumped in to a b&b for the evening.
So fair play for getting home that very same night..

Thanks Keno,
It was seriously difficult but great fun..

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
For Nicole thank you  :wub: