Author Topic: Aira Force Glenridding visit 17/04/2017  (Read 395 times)

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
    • Welcome to Live In Blackpool, I hope you like it..x
Aira Force Glenridding visit 17/04/2017
« on: May 01, 2017, 09:43:14 PM »
Probably the most famous of the Lake District waterfalls, the main force falls 70 feet from below a stone footbridge. Aira Force provides a glimpse of a landscaped Victorian park with dramatic waterfalls, arboretum and rocks scenery.

In the 1780’s the Howard family of Greystoke Castle had an old hunting lodge or Pele tower close to the Ullswater shore renovated into what is now Lyulph’s Tower, set among its own sporting estate. They landscaped the area around the force, and used it as a pleasure garden, planting over half a million native and ornamental trees, and established a network of tracks, footpaths and bridges. In 1846 the Howards created an arboretum below Aira Force, planting over 200 specimen conifers (firs, pines, spruces and cedars) from all over the world, including a Sitka Spruce, now 118 feet high.

After a walk along this part of Ullswater, Wordsworth wrote ‘I wandered lonely as a cloud’. See ‘Daffodils at Wordsworth Point, Glencoyne Bay’.

In 1906 Gowbrrow Park, including Aira Force, came up for sale for housing plots. An appeal was launched by the recently formed National Trust, which resulted in the purchase of 750 acres.

The bridges are in honour of two members of the Spring-Rice family from nearby Watermillock, and were erected by friends and members of the family. In All Saints Church at Watermillock are memorial tablets to members of the Spring-Rice family, one of whom wrote the words to the hymn ‘I vow to thee my Country’.

Very high and so majestic..I dare not get much closer..!

So many breathtaking trails..

Sit back and take in the most amazing scenery.. :thumbup1:

Small unspoiled bridges adorn this magnificent landscape..

Incredibly popular so go early to claim a parking space...

OPENING DETAILS
Visitor Welcome Building Open all year, 10:30-17:30, daily
Aira Force Open all year, dawn to dusk, daily
Café opening times vary.
PRICES
Free entry to Aira Force, car park charges apply.

Copyright Peter Mowbray Live In Blackpool Ltd

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:57:15 PM by PETER MOWBRAY »
BRINGING THE BEST REVIEWS AND BLOGS/VLOGS 

dav43

• Valued Poster
Re: Aira Force Glenridding visit 17/04/2017
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 09:21:42 AM »
great report and pictures pete,it looks a great place to visit  :thumbup: :thumbup:

PETER MOWBRAY

• Live In Blackpool Ltd
  • Admin
  • Live In Blackpool Ltd
    • Welcome to Live In Blackpool, I hope you like it..x
Re: Aira Force Glenridding visit 17/04/2017
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 04:58:51 PM »
great report and pictures pete,it looks a great place to visit  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you Sir  :tongue_smilie:
BRINGING THE BEST REVIEWS AND BLOGS/VLOGS