Author Topic: Blackpool & Layton Angling Society  (Read 3821 times)

ericbee123

• I am not a number.
    • Blackpool & Layton Angling Society
Blackpool & Layton Angling Society
« on: August 09, 2010, 05:36:26 PM »
Blackpool & Layton Angling Society was formed in 1905.

We have 9 ponds for freshwater fishing.

2 in Carleton.
3 near Thistleton/Greenhalgh.
3 in Great Eccleston
1 near Preston New Road at Westby

We have freshwater and/or seawater matches almost every weekend, all freshwater matches are held at fisheries away from club waters, leaving our freshwater ponds for pleasure angling at all times.

Seawater matches take place anywhere along The Irish Sea coast, including, North Wales, Anglesey, The Wirral, Merseyside, Cumbria and of course The Fylde Coast.

All our ponds are well stocked with silver fish and many have carp to double figures.

http://www.blasonline.com

Membership details can be found on our website or you can join at the following tackle shops:

Blackpool Angling Centre, Church Street Blackpool.
Noahs Ark, Poulton-Le-Fylde.
Anglers World, Preston Old Road, Blackpool.
Lytham Tackle Shop, North Clifton Street, Lytham.
Brooks Cycles and leisure, Albert Square, Fleetwood.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:38:19 PM by ericbee123 »
Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.

ericbee123

• I am not a number.
Re: Blackpool & Layton Angling Society
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 09:49:56 PM »
This post got lost in the Great Kerfuffle of Lost Postings.

I think it was :

BLAS have just become a member of POLSAF ( Port Of Liverpool Sea Angling Federation), meaning BLAS members can now get a permit and vehicle access to Liverpool Docks and fish the great fishing areas of Sandon Dock, Huskisson Dock, The Alexander Docks and Seaforth Rocks. Which are now all inside the Permit Access only areas of Mersey Docks.

Blackpool & Layton are one of only a handful of clubs from outside Merseyside to have been granted affiliation status of POLSAF.

A POLSAF permit and car pass costs an addition small amount per year for any BLAS member requiring access to these very productive dock walls into The River Mersey.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:07:00 PM by ericbee123 »

Louise

• Public Relations Manager
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 11:33:43 PM »
I used to go pond fishing when I was a child with my father, at Weeton camp they have since closed off the area with fencing and also to a pond in a field at Weeton. I have never forgotten my first carp that I caught I was about 6 and my dad was so proud of me, unfortunately I haven't got a photo of this proud occasion but the memories will stay for ever.I didn't realise that there was an anglers club in Layton well you learn something new every day. :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 02:52:09 PM by Louise »

ericbee123

• I am not a number.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 12:01:08 PM »
Just been sent this piece of history.

The Blackpool & Layton Angling Society

The Society Was formed about 1905, and the first book of rules is dated 1906. It appears that it was founded out of the Victoria Angling Club, which first appeared about 1902

In 1906 The Blackpool Angling Society, as it was then known, met in a working men’s club in Church Street, the entrance fee was 5/- plus 3d a week contribution which entitled members to all benefits of the club

From its inception, the club was chiefly devoted to freshwater angling, but as more members took to sea angling it was decided to amalgamate with the Layton Sea Angling Society, which was a sea angling club, this union was concluded in 1945 and explains our present title

The Society flourished through good times and bad times, including two world wars, and we still have a very fine club, where some of the top fishermen in the Country have joined at one time or another and we still have a list of trophies, cups and shields that are second to none

A warm welcome is extended to all new members, so the message to all members is still as it states in rule 1 of the original 1906 book –

The Society’s object is the encouragement of the Art of Angling as a pastime and a sport